Hillsborough electrical shop

The thing about all these campaigns to reinvigorate Hillsborough (and other town centres) is most of them miss the main problem. Car parking. Councils up and down the country are increasing the charges to park, partly to discourage car use, but also to raise more revenue, and it just encourages people to go to out of town shopping centres with free and convenient parking. And the council have just introduced a street parking scheme round Hillsborough, just to make it that bit more awkward for potential shoppers to use Hillsborough.......

That's true.... Just a few prices from Argos, reserve online and collect:

Phone £3.88

Hair Dryer £3.97

Steam Iron £3.99

Toaster £4.99

Kettle £5.69

Sandwich Toaster £5.99

That`s great, apart from one thing, most of it will be cheap flimsy crap.

I bought a cheap toaster from Wilko a few years ago, and unbelievably cheap it was too.

It failed after 13 months.

I stripped it down to see if I could mend it and it was, literally, made of tin foil.

I paid about 3 or 4 times as much for my next toaster, from Coles with a 2 year warranty (or was it 3 years ? ), it`s still working fine.

I hate cheap crap !

• 1 month later...

I do not think the internet has helped small shops you have to diversify these days internet is taking over used to go to electrical shop at Hilsborough now bought shaver off the internet took two days how sad, yes I think Rent&rates are very high for small business somebody sell something useful and different which everyone wants and sells well lets try to outsmart the supermarket they only want the best pickings they do not want to service shavers or

even sell them try not selling the same as the shop next door where is fair competition

• 8 years later...

Just found this thread. I don't come on here very often at all.

This was my dad's shop. He had to liquidate the shop as it was making a loss at alarming rates. As many have stated the big chains offering extended guarantees pretty much stopped people repairing things. Regarding products being high costs, this was purely down to the margin he could make on them - he may purchase five telephones for example at £15 and try to sell them on at £20. He wasn't buying these products in the thousands at the price that Argos etc. could/can. Ultimately it all came down to not being able to compete with the big boys who can drop their trousers and just provide a replacement free of charge.

It was a sad and difficult time for all the family and one that cost them their beloved house of over 30 years, the only house that I had lived in as a child. Unfortunately the business debts had to be paid somehow.

I hope people got back their items as I know he was trying to get them all back out to folk, even when the world around him was crashing down.

On 13/05/2020 at 12:34, mattbianco1 said:

Just found this thread. I don't come on here very often at all.

This was my dad's shop. He had to liquidate the shop as it was making a loss at alarming rates. As many have stated the big chains offering extended guarantees pretty much stopped people repairing things. Regarding products being high costs, this was purely down to the margin he could make on them - he may purchase five telephones for example at £15 and try to sell them on at £20. He wasn't buying these products in the thousands at the price that Argos etc. could/can. Ultimately it all came down to not being able to compete with the big boys who can drop their trousers and just provide a replacement free of charge.

It was a sad and difficult time for all the family and one that cost them their beloved house of over 30 years, the only house that I had lived in as a child. Unfortunately the business debts had to be paid somehow.

I hope people got back their items as I know he was trying to get them all back out to folk, even when the world around him was crashing down.

Sad to hear this mate, I supplied your dads shop many years ago, hundreds of similar shops then, virtually all gone, thank ebay etc, we all use them if honest.