Musical Taste - A Depiction Of Intelligence Levels?

^^^What he said.

If you were to turn up at my house unannounced you may find me listening to Bartok one day, Tool the next and Prodigy on the third. What does that say about me?

Never heard of Bartok, but Tool are the thinking persons metal band. Even I struggle with them.

Never heard of Bartok, but Tool are the thinking persons metal band. Even I struggle with them.

Bela Bartok- Hungarian composer and pianist who died in 1945. Composed a wide range of music and was one of the founders of ethnomusicology. Much of his work explored the breakdown of diatonic harmony.

I like things with unusual harmonies and wacky time signatures. If you want me to want to listen to something again, write it in 9/4 or 13/8 or something. 4/4 can be rather boring sometimes and most of the rock and pop tracks that have really made an impression on me have been unusual time signatures, from Golden Brown by the Stranglers to Everything In Its Right Place by Radiohead.

I like early to mid 80s Pop, and classic rock, especially Meatloaf... I think most of the stuff in the charts nowadays is bobbins, all teeny bopper pap with no proper lyrics or rythmn... Am I getting too old? I'm only 35.

I agree to put it in a nutshell you dont get many chavs into this genre of music.

On the other hand there are many vacuous airheads in the pub on a Saturday night who want to listen to Bon Jovi, Meatloaf etc (yawn yawn) drives me mad. If I ever have to listen to Living on a Prayer again I will shoot the dj !!

Oi Oi! Meatloaf is GOD! Shame the Queen's not a Meat fan, otherwise he'd be Knighted by now :D

Phantom of the Opera, Lloyd Webber

Tubular Bells, Mike Oldfield.

Fleetwood Mac, The Chain

Vangelis, Chung Kuo

Chung Kuo, brilliant, the first time I've come across someone who knows it. I first heard it used in The Paras BBC series from the eighties. I listen to it when running.

Archived