Musical Taste - A Depiction Of Intelligence Levels?

I agree to put it in a nutshell you dont get many chavs into this genre of music.

On the other hand there are many vacuous airheads in the pub on a Saturday night who want to listen to Bon Jovi, Meatloaf etc (yawn yawn) drives me mad. If I ever have to listen to Living on a Prayer again I will shoot the dj !!

No, don't shoot the DJ. The DJ is just doing their job and playing the requests they've been asked to play. All you need to do is go and ask for a song you want to hear instead.

There are some pretty good Bon Jovi tracks out there once you get away from Livin on a Prayer. Ones that were cherished a decade or two ago and have been underplayed since then.

Bela Bartok- Hungarian composer and pianist who died in 1945. Composed a wide range of music and was one of the founders of ethnomusicology. Much of his work explored the breakdown of diatonic harmony.

I like things with unusual harmonies and wacky time signatures. If you want me to want to listen to something again, write it in 9/4 or 13/8 or something. 4/4 can be rather boring sometimes and most of the rock and pop tracks that have really made an impression on me have been unusual time signatures, from Golden Brown by the Stranglers to Everything In Its Right Place by Radiohead.

That would make you highly intelligent then :love::love:

Strip away say Eminem's witty rapping, and listen to the soundtrack, and one will find the most base 'gonadic' playground music in the entire world.

Not in the instrumental parts, I think 3 bars 3/4 then 1 bar 4/4 then 3 bars 3/4 and 1 bar 4/4..... they write it like this to keep the drummer awake.

Spot on that man- it's only a waltz if you don't mind adding an extra hop once every 4 bars.

And the Radiohead track is in 10/4 timing. I'm a sucker for 5/4, like in Sting's Seven Days, and the lovely 7/4 4/4 combination in Money by Pink Floyd too. It's the only Floyd track I have ever found that I like, but at least I gave them a go.

I like to think I am open to anything but in the car at the minute i've got

Joe Jackson

Squeeze

Beautiful South

Oasis

Radiohead

Isn't it funny, think I have around 500 albums (vinyl and cd) yet hardly any are American bands, they're 95% Brit albums aint I a patriot :)

I like to think I am open to anything but in the car at the minute i've got

Joe Jackson

Squeeze

Beautiful South

Oasis

Radiohead

Isn't it funny, think I have around 500 albums (vinyl and cd) yet hardly any are American bands, they're 95% Brit albums aint I a patriot :)

Yeah, and all white bands.

^^^What he said.

If you were to turn up at my house unannounced you may find me listening to Bartok one day, Tool the next and Prodigy on the third. What does that say about me?

If you were to turn up at my house unannounced you may find me listening to The Fall one day, The Fall the next and The Fall on the third. What does that say about me?

If you were to turn up at my house unannounced you may find me listening to The Fall one day, The Fall the next and The Fall on the third. What does that say about me?

You have a gritty intelligence, but a poor one.

Archived