Musical Taste - A Depiction Of Intelligence Levels?

I get annoyed when some-one raves on about a particular type of music and then wont even consider the fact that other types of music may be worth listening to. I have widened my musical tastes over the years and so in my collection you'll find Glen Miller, The Enid, Dolly parton, Gregorian chant, Rush, The Carpenters and even some Dire Straits to name but a few. If some-one is totally fixated on one type of music then in my mind they're a bit dim.

Not only dim but losing out on so much. I'd be surprised if anyone on this forum has played as many different genres of music as I have played over the last 50 years (and still playing).

I've met many musical snobs down the years, I pity them because they miss out on so much and the older you get the wider your taste becomes.

I get annoyed when some-one raves on about a particular type of music and then wont even consider the fact that other types of music may be worth listening to. I have widened my musical tastes over the years and so in my collection you'll find Glen Miller, The Enid, Dolly parton, Gregorian chant, Rush, The Carpenters and even some Dire Straits to name but a few. If some-one is totally fixated on one type of music then in my mind they're a bit dim.

You joking?

Why? Gregorian chant (if done well) sounds pretty good (IMO.)

?

(Most) Music seems (to me) to be a sort of sung/played mathematical language. There are rules and if you stick to those rules, it works - If you don't it's discordant and it grates. I'm no composer (I was never very good at music) but if you give me an incomplete sequence of notes I can (probably) predict what will come next. I doubt I'm alone in being able to do that.

I - like perhaps many people - have favourite types of music, but I'll listen to most of it ... apart from the 'music' played on the early episodes of series such as 'Britain's got talent - but we're keeping it well hidden', 'The Idle American' 'X marks the spot' and similar junk programmes.

Originally Posted by WallBuilder

You joking?

I must say that I think WallBuilder has a very valid point.

Not only dim but losing out on so much. I'd be surprised if anyone on this forum has played as many different genres of music as I have played over the last 50 years (and still playing).

I've met many musical snobs down the years, I pity them because they miss out on so much and the older you get the wider your taste becomes.

I agree Bassman. But, some music just panders to a IQ level of around 68. I doth my cap to you're expert knowledge of timing/beats etc. But, certain music is just liked by plain thickos.

...I've met many musical snobs down the years, I pity them because they miss out on so much and the older you get the wider your taste becomes.

Unfortunately (in my case, at least) the older you get the worse your hearing becomes.:hihi:

My memory isn't too good, either - or else I've forgotten just how poor the sound quality of some of my favourite music was. I dug out some old records recently (I still do have a [high-quality] record player) and I played them. Many fond memories - but lots of not-so-pleasant hisses cracks and problems.

I agree Bassman. But, some music just panders to a IQ level of around 68. I doth my cap to you're expert knowledge of timing/beats etc. But, certain music is just liked by plain thickos.

Must say I'm not too much into Bedhanger stuff but each to their own.

Must say I'm not too much into Bedhanger stuff but each to their own.

Lost? What do you consider the timing and off kilt riffs of this band?

Ignore the daft video. Just the music, very much considered a 'math metal' band.

Cheers.

Unfortunately (in my case, at least) the older you get the worse your hearing becomes.:hihi:

My memory isn't too good, either - or else I've forgotten just how poor the sound quality of some of my favourite music was. I dug out some old records recently (I still do have a [high-quality] record player) and I played them. Many fond memories - but lots of not-so-pleasant hisses cracks and problems.

As I said earlier I've recently purchased an interface that I connect my turntable or tape deck into, a bit of Dolby Noise reduction helps with some of the noise.

I want to save my vynil to computer before it gets to worn, I then record it to CD leaving the rest in 'I Tunes'.

When you compare todays recording technology to that of Brian Wilsons that he used for classics like Good Vibrations it's a different world.

Lost? What do you consider the timing and off kilt riffs of this band?

Ignore the daft video. Just the music, very much considered a 'math metal' band.

Cheers.

Well it's errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr different.

Archived