Should there be a legal maximum volume of home stereo systems?

Should there be a legal maximum volume for home entertainment systems?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be a legal maximum volume for home entertainment systems?

• Yes
    • No

Most of us would agree that very loud music blaring out from someones house is a nuisence and very anti-social, But would most people want to see a legal maximum volume output for home entertainment systems? If there is a legal limit already then the limit is clearly not low enough.

I don't think that would be workable. Some people live in detached houses a long way from any neighbours, and can play music at 130 decibels without offending anyone except their own eardrums.

There is, I think, a fixed guideline above which noise counts as a nuisance, but it applies to the level of noise when it reaches you, not the level as it's emitted from your annoying neighbour.

I don't think that would be workable. Some people live in detached houses a long way from any neighbours, and can play music at 130 decibels without offending anyone except their own eardrums.

There is, I think, a fixed guideline above which noise counts as a nuisance, but it applies to the level of noise when it reaches you, not the level as it's emitted from your annoying neighbour.

Good responce that HeadingNorth, You just killed the thread. :)

I ran pro sound systems.

I had a problem with an idiot neighbour playing music while silly o'clock in the morning so I took some kit home. They played while 4am; I started at 8 with around 3KW RMS and rather large loudspeakers with nice, responsive bass units.

The police understood but asked me to turn it off anyway (when they stopped laughing).

i wish they could set limits for repeat offenders

my neighbours when they party go all night long ( usually stop lunchtime the next day, or the day after if there really going for it ) they have it so loud my house shakes and it can be heard all the way down the road

if the police/ environmental health copuld set an upper limit for numptys i would be a happy, non sleep deprived woman

Archived