What's the going rate for pocket money?

Yeah used to get about £1 per day + perks, tried negotiating when I got older for a rise, dad was not having it, stopped giving me anything for a couple of weeks. I tend to give my £45 per month + extras like footy training, pictures etc.

My kids get pocket money but they have to earn it.

My 9 yr old lad comes home from school prepares his school lunch and puts it in fridge for next day.

He puts his uniform in washer and gets clean out for next day.

And I ask him to hoover and clean his room, What he does all week = how much he gets.

I give him 50 p a job he does a day so 3 jobs= £1.50 a day= £10.50 a week

He don't have to do uniforms and school dinner on a Friday and Saturday so I replace them with 2 other jobs.

Which normally means Friday and Saturday he does his room as normal, but he also does the drying up and putting away of pots.

But we also have rules of every night but Friday and Saturday he has to go bed at 8:30. No tv and no up and down just sleep. And then weekends he can stay up till 8:30 downstairs but can then watch tv for an hour or so in his bedroom Friday and Saturday.

And if he wants things like a new game for Xbox, He trades in his old ones at cex to get new there.

Or he has a copper jar he saves up his copper and takes it morrisons and puts it in penny machine.

Which then gives him a receipt he can spend, and he buys a dvd.

My kids know value of money and know that nothing in life comes for free. Best thing I ever did because they don't expect.

And even come up with their own money making ideas, my 9 yr old buys sweets from makro in bulk.

He flogs them at school to kids for profit lol , and he breeds guppy fish and sells them pert shops.

I also have a 13 yr old that gets 75 pence job, and my 3 yr old daughter aint quiet old enough yet. But she will have to do the same, it is a great way of learning kids how to save and earn. :)

Totally agree with Charlie. I'm 35 and the contrast between my friends who earned their pocket money and know the value of money and those just given it who are permanently in debt or confused is striking.

I had to earn mine washing the car and doing odd jobs. I also did a paper round from 14.

I quite like the system we had as kids... various jobs we could do (eg washing up, walking the dog, tidying etc) had a price. Jobs done were recorded in a book and we could request any amount up to the balance in our book. If for something specific (eg specific toy) we could borrow small amounts and work it off later.

On the occasions we went away/days out to beach etc we may have been given a little extra for that outing.

As I got into my teenage years a vaguely recall a base amount per week which I could top up by doing jobs as per above. At 15 I had a part time job too.

Archived