Paris Night Club racial door policy?

ip man

Not too many - say hello to reading! :hihi:

In living Colour

Faith no mores lead vocalist

Fishbone

Certain guy called Jimi Hendrix

While i acknowledge that the number of non white musicians in the rock (i presume you are meaning just rock. Not rock n roll) is very low it still doesnt mean that the music is made purely for skinny white guys with 80's style poodle perms

In living Colour

Fishbone

While i acknowledge that the number of non white musicians in the rock (i presume you are meaning just rock. Not rock n roll) is very low it still doesnt mean that the music is made purely for skinny white guys with 80's style poodle perms

I see that you too are struggling to recall too many black rock and indie musicians - This must mean that you agree with my post about there not being too many of them... Whereas other styles, such as grime, rnb etc have far more black musicians... I guess it's a mixture of the music you hear around you growing up, and the music that appeals to you as you are older as to what sort of music you would play if you were able to...

By rock, I was meaning metal... Heavy rock - not Elvis...

Hey come on people, music doesn't have colour.

But if you want to talk about in that respect, the term "Rock and Roll" was reputedly part of the black American vernacular relating (like "Jazz") to sex, but also to spirituality in gospel music. Rock and roll was played by black musicians drawing on forms including boogie-woogie and blues until it was popularised by the likes of Bill Haley and Elvis Presley. While early rock & roll drew on the blues and african rhythms, like much music that came out of these traditions it fused these with melodies from the dominant white culture (country, sea shanties etc). So rock and roll wouldn't have happened without both cultural traditions, although it is assumed to have been created by black musicians.

The blues & rock and roll was adopted by (white) British artists in the 1960s (Rolling Stones, Beatles etc), and subsequently rock & roll became cool for white kids and its origins were slightly obscured. So those skinny white kids are playing derivatives of a music that originated from black america (with a considerable influence from European musical culture).

Interesting isn't it? Anyways, I like like all music. From Shumann, Brahms and Poulenc, through to Big Youth and Dubstep.

As you were...

x

As a kid I heard every excuse in the book for door staff to turn us away unfortunately I didn’t have the race card to play so I just walked on, the saddest one was “ no trainers” in the Geisha Bar ( crazy daisy ) :blush:

Do you think it's ok for door staff to turn someone away who's dressed appropriately and behaving appropriately just because of their skin colour?

The only people playing the 'race card' in such circumstances are the door staff and club owners.

In living Colour

Fishbone

bad brains

pure hell

dub war / skindred :P

thing is indie and rock come from the blues...........which is black music, so without black musicians there would be no indie, no punk, no rock, no metal etc etc

I see that you too are struggling to recall too many black rock and indie musicians - This must mean that you agree with my post about there not being too many of them... Whereas other styles, such as grime, rnb etc have far more black musicians... I guess it's a mixture of the music you hear around you growing up, and the music that appeals to you as you are older as to what sort of music you would play if you were able to...

By rock, I was meaning metal... Heavy rock - not Elvis...

Derek from sepultura

Lenny Kravitz

Skindred

Phil Lynott

Chuck Berry (you could argue he was blues really, but there's an argument he was rock)

Skin

There's loads out there.

Archived