Garden fencing question

New fence put up by neighbors in need of a lick of paint on my side of the garden. Is it up to me to paint it or could i get into trouble as they have put it up? I want to change it from the brown it currently is to a nice green to blend in better and fix some trellis for some climbing plants.

You have no right to change your neighbour's fence without their permission.

If you cause a dispute, you may be taken to court, fined and asked to put the fence back to it's original state.

There's a newspaper article you may find of interest here

Likewise, without the fence owners permission you are not allowed to attach anything to someone else's fence.

If you have a major problem with this, put a fence up of your own [on your property] and you can do anything you like with that.

However, if the fence is jointly owned - and you paid half to the cost of the panels and installation, - and it is on the boundary of the joint property, rather than on the neighbour's property, you are allowed to paint your own side.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

You could get in trouble with the person who owns it if you paint the fence panels without their consent,can lead to a lengthy court battle and compo for the injured party. Just ask your next door neighbour if they mind if you change the colour!!!

Archived