Spelling on the Forum

Can people not spell, or use the correct term these days?

Or is it just not considered an important part of the English language anymore?

lose or loose

there, their or they're

should've, not 'should of'

your or you're

I'm sure there are many more ... :rolleyes:

Can people not spell, or use the correct term these days?

Or is it just not considered an important part of the English language anymore?

lose or loose

there, their or they're

should've, not 'should of'

your or you're

I'm sure there are many more ... :rolleyes:

uıuɐoɯ dnɹɹnɥs

There are two types of errors, in this context.

1. Wrong word; e.g. those in post #1.

2. Non-existent word, usually a mis-spelling: e.g. (as in another thread) use of 'teh' in place of 'the'.

At least type2 is identified, in most word-processing systems, with a squiggle underline.

One day, we all hope that type1 will be as well!

You are not allowed to criticise spelling or grammer on here, some people think its inappropriate to be able to spell properly, and to have good grammer. I am not one of those, and it annoys me.

Spelling mistakes are completely forgivable.

For me, plain lazy use of the English language is not.

Text speak for instance, or people too lazy to read back what they have just written to glance over for simple mistakes and to make sure what they have written makes sense.

Whether other users like it or not, we have to have a certain tolerance for spelling and grammatical errors on forum posts. The forum is not available for use only by those with a good standard of written English, it's also available for those who may have English as a second language, or who may be dyslexic, or who struggle with spelling and grammar.

If you can think of a good way to allow all of those people to get involved which doesn't also have the possibility of grammatical errors or typos in posts then please do let us know.

In the absence of this, we will continue to allow those who are not perfect to have forum access.

Also, your = you're in most cases on here :rolleyes:

If i'm in a hurry, I notice myself making that mistake.

It's an obvious one to check for, and if you see me edit a post, it's usually down to your, you're, there, they're, their and so on.

all easy mistakes to make. You mostly notice it after a quick check back over what you have written.

Archived