Spelling on the Forum

Whether other users like it or not, we have to have a certain tolerance for spelling and grammatical errors on forum posts. The forum is not available for use only by those with a good standard of written English, it's also available for those who may have English as a second language, or who may be dyslexic, or who struggle with spelling and grammar.

If you can think of a good way to allow all of those people to get involved which doesn't also have the possibility of grammatical errors or typos in posts then please do let us know.

In the absence of this, we will continue to allow those who are not perfect to have forum access.

My wife is a very intelligent person, yet some of the words she asks me to spell for her before she write's them (usually onto facebook!) astound me, and i've known her for many years.

It drives me mad but at her age, she won't be able to change now. As you say, that shouldn't mean if she chose to do so, she shouldn't be able to participate in a public forum such as this one.

Edit: Write, Right, is another bad one!!!

My wife is a very intelligent person, yet some of the words she asks me to spell for her before she write's them (usually onto facebook!) astound me, and i've known her for many years.

It drives me mad but at her age, she won't be able to change now. As you say, that shouldn't mean if she chose to do so, she shouldn't be able to participate in a public forum such as this one.

Edit: Write, Right, is another bad one!!!

:hihi: :hihi:

At my youngests parents evening,i said i thought her spelling was poor,He said as long as we knew what they are trying to say,thats fine. I couldent believe it.

It's at an early age where things set in for life.

That is totally wrong, if I had been told that I'd have been silently livid. That silence would soon turn into a letter of discontent.

Why do we strive for excellence in the results for our kids exams, if "I knew what they meant" is acceptable?!

Not in a million years should this be tolerated as a means of teaching!

Life would be so boring if we were all perfect wouldn't it. Luckily, in most cases, I think I have enough intelligence to understand what most people are trying to say.......

It's at an early age where things set in for life.

That is totally wrong, if I had been told that I'd have been silently livid. That silence would soon turn into a letter of discontent.

Why do we strive for excellence in the results for our kids exams, if "I knew what they meant" is acceptable?!

Not in a million years should this be tolerated as a means of teaching!

I agree. Whilst no-one can achieve 100% accuracy 100% of the time, it's still a good thing at which to aim.

Archived