Spelling on the Forum

...In the absence of this, we will continue to allow those who are not perfect to have forum access.

I don't see it as being about people being 'perfect' - I fully understand that people may have dyslexia or learning/language barrier difficulties, & I certainly wouldn't deny them the right to express themselves here on the Forum.

But I think there are many contributors on here, who don't come into those categories, for whom it's simply sloppiness with the rules of English - & those rules are only there to ensure that people can be effectively understood; the context & nature of what they are trying to communicate to another person.

Of course language evolves & changes over the years - no problem with that, but consider this below - it's either simply right or wrong:

as 2+2 = 4 in Mathematics,

'should have' = should've in English - not 'should of'.

Can people not spell, or use the correct term these days?

Or is it just not considered an important part of the English language anymore?

lose or loose

there, their or they're

should've, not 'should of'

your or you're

I'm sure there are many more ... :rolleyes:

I started something like this before. It unleashed the spelling brigade from the Oxford Dictionary.....beware!!!!!

We all make spelling mistakes and typos, but I do get a bit wound up by the incorrect use of 'your/you're' and 'their/there/they're'. I don't understand why people don't take half an hour out of their lives to teach themselves stuff like that. It's not hard!

EDIT: Try these!

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-There,-Their-and-They're

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-You're-and-Your

'their/there/they're'. you poor thing:hihi:

Not everyone has the same abilities. I can't play a note of music, I don't know much about how my car or my computer work, but I can spell! It is something we were taught was important when I was at school in the 50s. When I later learned to type (on a manual machine) marks were taken off for poor spelling.

I'm appalled when I get correspondence from a professional organisation that contains poor spelling and grammar, but I wouldn't expect the same standard in informal communications such as online forums.

I accept that there will be spelling errors and misuse of words, but I struggle to get my head round the use of 'look' instead of 'luck'. I've seen 'good look' a few times recently, and can't help wondering why? :huh:

Not everyone has the same abilities. I can't play a note of music, I don't know much about how my car or my computer work, but I can spell! It is something we were taught was important when I was at school in the 50s. When I later learned to type (on a manual machine) marks were taken off for poor spelling.

I'm appalled when I get correspondence from a professional organisation that contains poor spelling and grammar, but I wouldn't expect the same standard in informal communications such as online forums.

I accept that there will be spelling errors and misuse of words, but I struggle to get my head round the use of 'look' instead of 'luck'. I've seen 'good look' a few times recently, and can't help wondering why? :huh:

I wonder the same re 'to' and 'too'...

One thing that I find hard to read is when people fail to use any punctuation or paragraphs. Most of the time it takes too much effort to read it.

It's a lot easier to read when text is broken up into pargraphs in the appropriate places!

I don't think we should be tolerant of poor spelling or grammar, otherwise where is the incentive for people to improve themselves?

I'm not immune to making mistakes myself so I sometimes brush up my knowledge using these two sites, one for correct punctuation and one for commonly misspelled words -

http://correctpunctuation.explicatus.info/

http://oxforddictionaries.com/page/spellingcommonmisp

I even edit posts that I am quoting to correct the spelling mistakes in the quoted text. Does anyone else do that?

One thing that I find hard to read is when people fail to use any punctuation or paragraphs. Most of the time it takes too much effort to read it.

It's a lot easier to read when text is broken up into pargraphs in the appropriate places!

When complyining abot speling an gramer its best to chek yors

Archived