Lower the minimum wage to £4.98 for over 50s?

Should we lower the minimum wage for over 50s?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Should we lower the minimum wage for over 50s?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know
    • What about the different tax credit rates dependent on age?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2004863/Over-50s-jobless-rate-soars-highest-level-1995.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

The number of unemployed people aged 50 and above has soared to its highest level since 1995, according to official figures.

Experts warn that they are among the biggest losers from Britain’s fragile jobs market, with little chance of finding another job or one paying the same salary.

The figures show that while unemployment is rising rapidly among older workers, it is falling in all younger age groups.

We have lower minimum wages for the youth, as the government believes a minimum wage comparable to that of an adult would result in barriers to employment.

Over 50s clearly have barriers to employment. Perhaps there should be a lower minimum wage for the over 50s in order to remove their barriers to employment.

Rates from 1 October 2011

The NMW rates are reviewed each year by the Low Pay Commission and from 1 October 2011:

the main rate for workers aged 21 and over will increase to £6.08

the 18-20 rate will increase to £4.98

the 16-17 rate for workers above school leaving age but under 18 will increase to £3.68

the apprentice rate, for apprentices under 19 or 19 or over and in the first year of their apprenticeship will increase to £2.60

source

£4.98 perhaps?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2004863/Over-50s-jobless-rate-soars-highest-level-1995.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

We have lower minimum wages for the youth, as the government believes a minimum wage comparable to that of an adult would result in barriers to employment.

Over 50s clearly have barriers to employment. Perhaps there should be a lower minimum wage for the over 50s in order to remove their barriers to employment.

£4.98 perhaps?

So having worked most of their lives, paying taxes, mortgage etc. you reckon 'older people' should be lumped the same as the hordes of illiterate yoof who have spent their 'education time' at the back of the class, gawping at their mow-biles and generally being a waste of space?

source

£4.98 perhaps?

All I can say to this thread is a well known phrase of Dell Boys,

WHAT A PLONKER !,

The daysaver ticket on supertram is £3.70 return, regardless of age above 16, the proposed minimum wage for a 16-17 year old £3.68. Most jobs now are only for 4 hours or so, what incentive does that give anyone to be £11.04 better off for 5 hours of their time

source

£4.98 perhaps?

Never have I read so much crap in my life!

Never have I read so much crap in my life!

All I can say to this thread is a well known phrase of Dell Boys,

WHAT A PLONKER !,

I think you're confusing a valid debate initiation with the OP's opinion.

Archived