Lower the minimum wage to £4.98 for over 50s?

Should we lower the minimum wage for over 50s?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Should we lower the minimum wage for over 50s?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know
    • What about the different tax credit rates dependent on age?

Absolutely Not!

Over 50's have the same living expenses as everyone else. They can't run home to live with Mum and Dad when the going gets tough.

Besides, they bring a wealth of experience, common sense and a strong work ethic to the workplace, not to mention a possible 15 years+ of working life.

Employers should think themselves lucky to have them, especially compared to some of the underwhelming, self-agrandising 35yr olds I've worked with.

The over 50's that I mix with have developed very good tastes, and taste costs money. I particularly require regular breaks in the sun in 5 star accommodation, as against the flea pits that you young folk appear to prefer.

Young folk appear to like that McDonalds excuse for food, when my wife and I will shortly eat a real well cooked expensive meal, the Rioja that I like doesn't come cheap, neither does my wife's Pinot Grigio.

So all in all I reckon that we need a fair bit more than you kids, you lot could subsidise our tastes, you might even develop good tastes yourselves. :rolleyes:

Maybe a better approach would be to get all the young people into work so that they can keep the over fifties in leisure. Nobody over 50 should work more than 3 days a week. Twenty somethings should work a 60 hour week to enable this to happen. Payback time.

Maybe a better approach would be to get all the young people into work so that they can keep the over fifties in leisure. Nobody over 50 should work more than 3 days a week. Twenty somethings should work a 60 hour week to enable this to happen. Payback time.

And the the young will complain again. Why not though. All the young can have jobs that the old have so long as they're willing to pay a quid a week subsidy to pay towards keeping the now unemployed old.

I think we're in danger of producing young that expect everything handed to them, expect people to step aside for them, expect to be paid the same as someone with years of experience and least of all expect it all for as little effort as possible.

The really frightening thing as this thread suggests is that others seem to be enabling it.

And the the young will complain again. Why not though. All the young can have jobs that the old have so long as they're willing to pay a quid a week subsidy to pay towards keeping the now unemployed old.

I think we're in danger of producing young that expect everything handed to them, expect people to step aside for them, expect to be paid the same as someone with years of experience and least of all expect it all for as little effort as possible.

The really frightening thing as this thread suggests is that others seem to be enabling it.

I think that lots of that is true.

That's not a bad idea, the young would not have that long to wait to become benefactors of your regime.

Not sure if the article in the DM is in response to a call yesterday from Philip Davies MP, who called for those disabled or experiencing mental health problems to be employed at rates below the minimum wage.

Needless to say it went down like a cold cup of sick. Even his back bench colleagues on the hard right of the party were not impressed by the suggestion.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2004724/Tory-MP-blasted-claiming-disabled-people-offer-work-minimum-wage-jobs-ladder.html?ITO=1490

Archived