Lower the minimum wage to £4.98 for over 50s?

Should we lower the minimum wage for over 50s?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Should we lower the minimum wage for over 50s?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't know
    • What about the different tax credit rates dependent on age?

Not sure if the article in the DM is in response to a call yesterday from Philip Davies MP, who called for those disabled or experiencing mental health problems to be employed at rates below the minimum wage.

Needless to say it went down like a cold cup of sick. Even his back bench colleagues on the hard right of the party were not impressed by the suggestion.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2004724/Tory-MP-blasted-claiming-disabled-people-offer-work-minimum-wage-jobs-ladder.html?ITO=1490

"It went down like a cold cup of sick"....what a wonderful expression!:hihi:

It almost implies that a warm cup of sick would be more gastronomically acceptable.:gag:

And what's worse about Philip Davies' suggestion is that it won't shut the Daily Mail readers up, cos we'll still be forced to claim benefits to have enough money to live on! :rant::loopy:

And what's worse about Philip Davies' suggestion is that it won't shut the Daily Mail readers up, cos we'll still be forced to claim benefits to have enough money to live on! :rant::loopy:

I don't understand why you seem to think that you would only be offered minimum wage (or less) were you to go for a job, Rich. If your IT skills are as good as you indicate they are, surely you'd be offered a job at significantly more than minimum wage?

DLA isn't means tested, so you'd get that as a top-up anyway no matter what wage you earned (unlike able-bodied people). I appreciate that it must be hard for someone like yourself to get a job, but please stop pretending that the only reason you don't get one is in case someone offered you £4.98/hour.

It'd surely be more honest to say (as you have indicated before) that you don't see the point of getting a job as your benefits would be reduced so you wouldn't gain any financial benefits from working for your living. Or, that you haven't been able to find anyone who will offer you a job (how many have you applied for recently?) at any wage.

That would be a whole different argument, along the lines of, "I've applied for x jobs in the last six months, I have y qualifications and I haven't even had an interview. What else can I do?". I remember someone a couple of years ago offering you the challenge of getting you a job within a week if you'd only engage with the process. I seem to recall that you went quiet and then disappeared for a while.

Not having a dig at you, just responding to your post.

Not sure if the article in the DM is in response to a call yesterday from Philip Davies MP, who called for those disabled or experiencing mental health problems to be employed at rates below the minimum wage.

Needless to say it went down like a cold cup of sick. Even his back bench colleagues on the hard right of the party were not impressed by the suggestion.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2004724/Tory-MP-blasted-claiming-disabled-people-offer-work-minimum-wage-jobs-ladder.html?ITO=1490

Funny how not one person has commented upon the differing rates for younger workers yet.

Tax credits for over 50s are more generous for example, so they could easily be better off, on lower pay, for less hours at the end of the week/month, than an apprentice with higher skills, whom works longer and is more productive.

Disabled people can claim DLA in work. Taking that into account working for a slightly lower wage would not be grossly unfair.

I recall regionally based minimum wages being suggested by the previous government.

Are wages supposed to based upon age?

Or are they supposed to based upon productivity?

Funny how not one person has commented upon the differing rates for younger workers yet.

Tax credits for over 50s are more generous for example, so they could easily be better off, on lower pay, for less hours at the end of the week/month, than an apprentice with higher skills, whom works longer and is more productive.

Disabled people can claim DLA in work. Taking that into account working for a slightly lower wage would not be grossly unfair.

I recall regionally based minimum wages being suggested by the previous government.

Are wages supposed to based upon age?

Or are they supposed to based upon productivity?

In the private sector they are generally based upon the perceived contribution made.

The contrbution made is of course very subjective and based all too often upon aquaintance (often covert) :o

I don't understand why you seem to think that you would only be offered minimum wage (or less) were you to go for a job, Rich. If your IT skills are as good as you indicate they are, surely you'd be offered a job at significantly more than minimum wage?

DLA isn't means tested, so you'd get that as a top-up anyway no matter what wage you earned (unlike able-bodied people). I appreciate that it must be hard for someone like yourself to get a job, but please stop pretending that the only reason you don't get one is in case someone offered you £4.98/hour.

It'd surely be more honest to say (as you have indicated before) that you don't see the point of getting a job as your benefits would be reduced so you wouldn't gain any financial benefits from working for your living. Or, that you haven't been able to find anyone who will offer you a job (how many have you applied for recently?) at any wage.

That would be a whole different argument, along the lines of, "I've applied for x jobs in the last six months, I have y qualifications and I haven't even had an interview. What else can I do?". I remember someone a couple of years ago offering you the challenge of getting you a job within a week if you'd only engage with the process. I seem to recall that you went quiet and then disappeared for a while.

Not having a dig at you, just responding to your post.

Like so many, 'IT skills' relate to being half-decent with DS, Xbox360 etc.

'fraid you're wasting your time with him, mate.

Do you see?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2004863/Over-50s-jobless-rate-soars-highest-level-1995.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

We have lower minimum wages for the youth, as the government believes a minimum wage comparable to that of an adult would result in barriers to employment.

Over 50s clearly have barriers to employment. Perhaps there should be a lower minimum wage for the over 50s in order to remove their barriers to employment.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Minimum wage should be £10 an hour for all.

Minimum wage for nights should be £20 an hour for all.

Max working week should be 40 hours.

Its not possible to live on less.

-----------------------------------------------------------

source

£4.98 perhaps?

£4.98 is wage slavery.

I have been on the minimum wage for a few years now and we are expected to work our socks off for it i don't mind working hard if the money is decent but i've had enough of just scraping by and it barely pays the bills and i am going to college part time.

Archived