Greece - anyone been there lately?

my fella is over there at moment dj-ing in corfu; he says its really quiet and really expensive unfotunately ....

So your fella is on a party island full of sex and alcohol and he tells you it is quiet and you believe him?

Well I have a friend in Nigeria who is trying to transfer me a lot of money. However I have lost my bank account. If you give me your bak details then I will transfer the money into your bank account. You then withdraw 75% and give it to me, you can keep the rest.

However to do this I also need to know your date of birth and mothers maiden name.

So your fella is on a party island full of sex and alcohol and he tells you it is quiet and you believe him?

Well I have a friend in Nigeria who is trying to transfer me a lot of money. However I have lost my bank account. If you give me your bak details then I will transfer the money into your bank account. You then withdraw 75% and give it to me, you can keep the rest.

However to do this I also need to know your date of birth and mothers maiden name.

:hihi:

Then again it could be really naff …….. just like Corfu was last year.

Doesn't John Revolting live there with Olive New Ton?

me too -much friendlier than turkey - would rather go there any day - its a shame it's in such a state

If some people in Turkey get their way, they too will be in an (EU) state.

Greece may be friendlier than Turkey, but Turkey tasted better than grease - and it's better for your health.

Right now - and bearing in mind the way some British tourists were treated in some countries last year when their travel companies ran into difficulties - I'm inclined to give Greece a miss.

I wouldn't have bothered taking a day's holiday to go to London and watch a load of students ******* against Churchill's statue, smashing up buildings and throwing fire extinguishers around. - I'd be even less likely to take a 2-week holiday somewhere where there was a chance of seeing the same thing on an even larger scale.

I've been to Greece many times and loved it, but worried about the current situation.

Considering a large part of there income is from tourism I wondered what the situation is at the moment in the holiday resorts and islands. Are they welcoming visitors or is it not a good idea at the moment?

I'm pretty sure they'll be welcoming visitors. The public's grievance is against the austerity measures that the Government are taking such as cutting off electricity to streets, stopping refuse collections, etc as a means to save money, as they don't have any.

I expect the tourist areas will be well served as they need foreign business. The trouble has all been in the Government building areas of Athens - just like we march on London if we're protesting, this is what the Greeks have done.

I'm sure we'll be fine going to visit, but if you come out of your resort, you'll no doubt see signs of a struggling population.

cant speak for the mainland, but got back from rhodes on thursday, brilliant as ever, no trouble whatsoever, we spent time going from rhodes all the way up to pefkos, the only time you knew there was any hint of political trouble was the odd bar running the news of what was going on in athens, other than that business as usual. oh take plenty of euro if you do go there, you'll need it.

I've been to Greece many times and loved it, but worried about the current situation...

Quite. Your post supports the point I was trying to make.

When I go on holiday, I hope to enjoy myself. There are plenty of destinations from which to choose.

If I'm on holiday, I don't want to be bothered by (or even mildly inconvenienced by) demonstrators, protestors, rioters, car burners or anything else.

If they want to protest, they are entitled to do so. I am not obliged to listen/watch/be inconvenienced by their protest. And I don't intend to be, either.

I'm on holiday and the aim is to have a good time.

Given the problems this year, Greece has been deleted from this year's list of destinations.

Archived