Greece - anyone been there lately?

WE went to Rhodes Town for a night out, £7-£10 for a bottle of beer.

Friendly locals, but very expensive

Depends where you go in the old town, last year we found a taverna just off the main thoroughfare and it was only 2.5€ for a large beer. Some places beer was cheap and food expensive and vice versa. A few years ago we sat in a taverna where the square with the fountain is and it was 11€ for a large and a medium beer, the large being a litre but was still a rip off.

As a Greek I can say that if you avoid Athens then you won't have any problem with protests etc. In fact they are expecting a 10% increase in tourism this year. My advice would be to travel to places that are not touristy and explore the islands. That is if you have time to travel around. As far as prices are concerned I can tell that in less touristy areas is cheaper. For example south Crete is much much cheaper than northern resorts of the island, although the beaches are much better. Bottom line is if you are reluctant due to the protests then don't be. The Home Office current threat level in the UK from international terrorism is Severe yet I have with no reluctance invited friends and family to visit me.

Here is a nice spot to seduce you!

Have fun wherever you decide to go!

Archived