Prince of Wales, Derbyshire Lane

Birty

Does anyone know whats happening with this pub now? Was meant to be closing for refurb in January - but didnt. Now its closed again from 6th June - meant to be reopening 20th June - but nothings been done to it. Has it closed for good this time? If so why are the regulars being fobbed off with rumours all the time.

Dave (I think is his name) the landlord, always used to chat a lot to my OH, OH asked him about the pool team about 2 months ago, and he said hes not doing anything for the minute, as hes closing in 3 weeks. He never mentioned a refurb at that point. We popped in again about a month ago, and he mentioned refurb then, but my OH and his cousin thought he was being a bit dodgy tbh... They asked him about the work that was getting done, and he just said he was doing it all himself, but took their numbers down in case he needed a hand. They've not heard anything, and it does look as though nothing has happened as yet. Maybe they've done a bunk. Can't see it being the most profitable pub, especially as its hardly open.

I work across the road from the Prince Of Wales at Rose and Co Accountants and have seen a lot of external improvements over the past week.

New signs went up today along with flowers and it looks much better. Improvements inside are ongoing and I will call in at some point as I have never been in.

A banner outside states beer prices and I note that Strongbow is over a pound cheaper than in my local!

Good luck to all concerned. I'd guess it will open up on Friday 1st July.

• 2 months later...

Well, the renovation was very nice, and the pub was very busy. However, noticed recently, its been shut a lot. I thought it had maybe gone back to only opening at the weekend, but, someone told me yesterday that Dave has packed up and gone, apparently to run a pub called The Sportsman, in or near town (I assume Denby Street, but not sure) it apparently has a lot of rockers going in there?

Archived