James Hairdressing, Glossop Road

Does anyone remember the wonderful Jim Monkman, formerly of James barbers on Glossop Road (opp the drama studio)?

He cut my hair from being 12 (I had a lot then), until he retired, lost touch with him after he and his wife retired to Oz, but I know he wasn't in the best of health.

Would be grateful if anyone has any memories or current info. Thanks

Does anyone remember the wonderful Jim Monkman, formerly of James barbers on Glossop Road (opp the drama studio)?

He cut my hair from being 12 (I had a lot then), until he retired, lost touch with him after he and his wife retired to Oz, but I know he wasn't in the best of health.

Twelve is a bit young for a barber, but having said that they had kids climbing up chimneys when you last had a barnet. :rolleyes:

I used to live next door to Jimmys Mum and Dad, Oriel and Tom monkman, knew Jimmy really well, I always sent his mum a christmas card, until one year her daughter told me she was in a home and not to send anymore, sorry dont know what happened to Jimmy though.

Mrs Monkman as she was to me was a lovely lady she taught me how to make scones, and alwas remember Mr Monkman used to bang his head on the coal house door and he always called it a very nice name

Twelve is a bit young for a barber, but having said that they had kids climbing up chimneys when you last had a barnet. :rolleyes:

Thanks crookesey, have to say I'm jealous of your voluminous titian mane :hihi:

I used to live next door to Jimmys Mum and Dad, Oriel and Tom monkman, knew Jimmy really well, I always sent his mum a christmas card, until one year her daughter told me she was in a home and not to send anymore, sorry dont know what happened to Jimmy though.

Mrs Monkman as she was to me was a lovely lady she taught me how to make scones, and alwas remember Mr Monkman used to bang his head on the coal house door and he always called it a very nice name

Thanks Mary Poppins, I'm guessing his parents will be very elderly now if they're still alive as Jim must be into his seventies now?

Thanks Mary Poppins, I'm guessing his parents will be very elderly now if they're still alive as Jim must be into his seventies now?
I did a little research using family history websites etc. James T. Monkman was born in Sheffield in Oct-Dec 1941, the son of Thomas Monkman and Oriel Monkman, née Nightingale. Tom and Oriel had married at Bridlington in 1933. Jim evidently had three older sisters, Rosemary, Oriel and Janette, and a younger brother, Peter. Oriel Monkman (born at Bridlington in 1911) died in Sheffield in May 2005, aged 93; she had been a resident at the Cairn Home, Crosspool.

I did a little research using family history websites etc. James T. Monkman was born in Sheffield in Oct-Dec 1941, the son of Thomas Monkman and Oriel Monkman, née Nightingale. Tom and Oriel had married at Bridlington in 1933. Jim evidently had three older sisters, Rosemary, Oriel and Janette, and a younger brother, Peter. Oriel Monkman (born at Bridlington in 1911) died in Sheffield in May 2005, aged 93; she had been a resident at the Cairn Home, Crosspool.

Thanks hillsbro, didn't realise they were such a large family, I knew he had one sister but nothing about the others :)

Jim used to do my hair when I was at The West End. Does anyone remember Peter from the Post Office next door?

Thankyou for that, I didnt know Mrs Monkman had died, how time flies, hadnt realised she was that old really, I know Mr Monkman died while still living next door to us many years ago and if I remember right he didnt want a funeral but to donate his body to medical science, at least thats what my mum told me, but I was quite young at the time so may have got it wrong

Funnily enough I used to live next door to Jimmy on Ferrars Road when he first got married. He used to cut hair at home one night per week and the neighbours used to queue down the drive, including my then boyfriend and dad. He left there to open the shop on Glossop Road.:)

Archived