What sort of light fitting would you recommend for a bathroom?

The light fitting I have in my bathroom at present, and have had all the time I have lived here, is one that fits close to the ceiling, so that the bayonet fit bulb goes in sort of lying down iyswim. The shade is thin sort of celluloid/plastic and encloses the bulb and fits close to the ceiling so that the bulb doesn't get damp from the hot water vapour in the bathroom when having a bath or shower.

However, the new low energy bulbs will not be able to fit into this light fitting and so I'd like to get a suitable light fitting for when when the present bulb gives up the ghost.

Has anyone any suitable recommendations pls?

Thank you very much for replies.

I should have remembered to put that my hands are very delicate and painful, so I am wanting as simple a light fitting as possible, that will also be suitable for a bathroom. - And preferably not too complicated to get fitted in the first place.

You should find what you're looking for here Margarete:

http://www.screwfix.com/c/electrical-lighting/lighting/cat840782

Any DIY store should be happy to advise you on purchasing bathroom lighting. Be aware that there are electrical regulations in place that consider bathrooms to be 'special zones' where electrics require more protection than usual. With regard to lighting it's known as IP ratings and different parts of your bathroom demand higher IP ratings than others. Directly above the shower, for example, requires a higher IP rating than other zones. Also, if there is dwelling space (a used room as opposed to an attic space) above your bathroom then the light should be fire rated also. More info here:

http://blog.sparksdirect.co.uk/ip-rating-in-the-bathrooms-bathroom-ip-zoning/

Downlights produce a nice effect and are easy to install, but you usually need more of them than a more typical light so they add more work. Be careful with regard to downlights as sometimes you need to purchase a transformer separately which can increase the cost.

If anything I've said to you doesn't make sense then I'd suggest you get a professional in to add the new lights for you. Make sure they're Part P registered so they can sign off their work and it's usually best to get somebody affiliated with a recognised professional body. Try the recommended tradesmen section of this forum.

A friend of mine installed one of those flashing lights that you see at road works, but the flashing began to trigger migraine attacks unless he wore very dark sunglasses, which made it even darker than when there was no light.:loopy:

Archived