No more heros anymore!

I love the new concept of a hero the US and UK military driven propaganda machine has succeeded in making us all accept unconditionally, with of course the compliance of a servile and accommodating press.

Once upon a time a hero was an extraordinary person, separate from the rest standing out because of what qualities they had, Alexander the Great and others spring to mind, who actually did and changed accepted limitations and perceptions. With Hollywood it was certain movie stars playing roles of such heroes. People the young admired and copied, as stories and games kept it alive as they tried to emulate these paragons of often usually male qualities in such leaders. Nelson and Wellington were hero’s for instance over here, and it was what they achieved that made them so.

In the modern civilized world where war is the most profitable industry on earth, the mayhem, death and destruction to justify unequal combat, with the less civilized required a different sort of hero. So a revamp occurred, and the wordsmiths twisted meanings to give new emotional interpretations to old concepts. So now in the USA and sadly here in the UK that hero’s come, like most commodities, ready boxed, covered in bright meaningful material, and seriously dead. So the hero concept has been repacked in many ways it seems.

Of course the tragedy is, or appears to be that the dead now justify unjustifiable wars based on lies. In Iraq would life be better today with Saddam, or the country smashed up, the infrastructure destroyed, the oil given to western interests (thanks to Blair for one) the people divided, and reduced to a form of poverty never experienced before, and all bathed in the luxury of depleted uranium to consume with every breath. Is this really saving people, killing over a million, never mind the malnutrition, depleted uranium deformities, the disease. New heroes for a new sort of freedom and progress to our idea of democracy, or is it we have all been corrupted by manipulative corporate aims?

So what do you think?

Yup. Soldiers are not heroes, just puppets for corrupt governments. They don't fight for the people, they fight for the governments business interests. But more in the case of USA, they fight to destroy other peoples way of life.

Yup. Soldiers are not heroes, just puppets for corrupt governments. They don't fight for the people, they fight for the governments business interests. But more in the case of USA, they fight to destroy other peoples way of life.

LIKE I SAID IT DEPENDS WHICH SIDE YOUR ON. :roll:

Yup. Soldiers are not heroes, just puppets for corrupt governments. They don't fight for the people, they fight for the governments business interests.

On the 21st of August 1931 the American General Smedley D. Butler said this.

"I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism. I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for the International Banking House of Brown Brothers in 1902-1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for the American sugar interests in 1916. I helped make Honduras right for the American fruit companies in 1903. In China in 1927 I helped see to it that Standard Oil went on its way unmolested. Looking back on it, I might have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three districts. I operated on three continents."

Things ain't changed much.

On the 21st of August 1931 the American General Smedley D. Butler said this.

"I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism. I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for the International Banking House of Brown Brothers in 1902-1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for the American sugar interests in 1916. I helped make Honduras right for the American fruit companies in 1903. In China in 1927 I helped see to it that Standard Oil went on its way unmolested. Looking back on it, I might have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three districts. I operated on three continents."

Things ain't changed much.

The same for all of us, if we adopt the train of thought.

However where would we be if the west had no soldiers?

Ill say it again 'It depends what side your on'

The same for all of us, if we adopt the train of thought.

However where would we be if the west had no soldiers?

Ill say it again 'It depends what side your on'

Get your head back in the sand Derek, you've been sussed again.

I love the new concept of a hero the US and UK military driven propaganda machine has succeeded in making us all accept unconditionally, with of course the compliance of a servile and accommodating press.

Once upon a time a hero was an extraordinary person, separate from the rest standing out because of what qualities they had, Alexander the Great and others spring to mind, who actually did and changed accepted limitations and perceptions. With Hollywood it was certain movie stars playing roles of such heroes. People the young admired and copied, as stories and games kept it alive as they tried to emulate these paragons of often usually male qualities in such leaders. Nelson and Wellington were hero’s for instance over here, and it was what they achieved that made them so.

In the modern civilized world where war is the most profitable industry on earth, the mayhem, death and destruction to justify unequal combat, with the less civilized required a different sort of hero. So a revamp occurred, and the wordsmiths twisted meanings to give new emotional interpretations to old concepts. So now in the USA and sadly here in the UK that hero’s come, like most commodities, ready boxed, covered in bright meaningful material, and seriously dead. So the hero concept has been repacked in many ways it seems.

Of course the tragedy is, or appears to be that the dead now justify unjustifiable wars based on lies. In Iraq would life be better today with Saddam, or the country smashed up, the infrastructure destroyed, the oil given to western interests (thanks to Blair for one) the people divided, and reduced to a form of poverty never experienced before, and all bathed in the luxury of depleted uranium to consume with every breath. Is this really saving people, killing over a million, never mind the malnutrition, depleted uranium deformities, the disease. New heroes for a new sort of freedom and progress to our idea of democracy, or is it we have all been corrupted by manipulative corporate aims?

So what do you think?

Soldiers sign up to fight, shoot and be shot at, thats the job. Why do they become heros all of a sudden. It's the yanky think, break you leg whilst on combat even if you fall of the " crapper " then you will get a medal, I'm surprised they don't get a medal for " joining up ".

When has the USA ever won a war, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, never, they ran away from the Vietnam so that all the army didn't get on drugs. Oh ,sorry, they beat us in the war of independance but it took us a long way to transport ammunition.

When my dad was in his late teens, he had to join the Army, he had no choice. I don't know if he wanted to join, but I think he enjoyed the experience, although he left as soon as he was able.

If this was still the case today, I have no doubt more hero's would exist in every day life.

When has the USA ever won a war, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, never, they ran away from the Vietnam so that all the army didn't get on drugs. Oh ,sorry, they beat us in the war of independance but it took us a long way to transport ammunition.

That's a bit harsh Lucifer, my grandfather who did his bit in WW2 always said we would have been up the swanny without the Yanks. They cocked up in Vietnam but don't dishoner the memory of the 50,000 plus US folk who died in that war with a daft remark.

Soldiers sign up to fight, shoot and be shot at, thats the job. Why do they become heros all of a sudden. It's the yanky think, break you leg whilst on combat even if you fall of the " crapper " then you will get a medal, I'm surprised they don't get a medal for " joining up ".

The vietnam war was a cold war skirmish. Who won the cold war? :huh:

Archived