Build A Rocket Boys

If someone says this, what do you think they mean? A link or some evidence of the terminology would be great. Google hasn't turned up anything just stuff about Elbow who have an album of the same name. I need its true context and not as used in the song. Unless Elbow themselves invented the phrase..:suspect:

I seem to think that it means if you have dreams you should go for them??

It was first quoted by JFK as a reaction to aftermath of Cuban missile crisis-apparently they forecast that space was the next battle front.

Mmmm, I don't understand why they would use it in a song about young people growing up then...

Well if you post the lyrics I will explain mate

"Lippy kids on the corner again

Lippy kids on the corner begin

Settling like crows

And I never perfected that simian stroll

The cigarettes and it was everything then

Do they know those days are golden?

Build a rocket boys

Build a rocket boys!

One more tune

I came down from the trees

Curbstone cool

You are freshly painted angel

Walking on walls

Stealing booze and down long hungry kisses

And Nobody knew me at home any more

Build a rocket boys!

Build a rocket boys

Build a rocket boys!

Lippy kids on the corner again

Lippy kids on the corner begin

Settling like crows

And I never affected that simian stroll

No

Do they know those days are golden?

Build a rocket boys

Build a rocket boys!

One long tune. I came down from the trees

Curbstone cool

You are freshly painted angel

Walking on walls

Stealing booze and down long hungry kisses

And nobody knows me at home anymore

Build a rocket boys!

Build a rocket boys

Build a rocket boys!"

The lippy kids are the Soviets acting hard with the missiles,the golden days refers to the post war boom in the USA,and the stealing booze etc. alludes to civil unrest in Deep South.Thre freshly painted angel is ML king

Ok, thank, that's cleared that up then...:hihi:

Really? I thought the song was about that golden time when you are on the cusp of childhood and teenage. When you still play out with your mates but begin to notice the other sex. Then again I am a bit on the dense side and bow to superior knowledge of world events. I just thought it was Guy Garvey reminiscing again .

Ahh I see you are being ironic . Told you I was dense LOL

Really? I thought the song was about that golden time when you are on the cusp of childhood and teenage. When you still play out with your mates but begin to notice the other sex. Then again I am a bit on the dense side and bow to superior knowledge of world events. I just thought it was Guy Garvey reminiscing again .

See Blue remembered hills by Dennis Potter for another source-the play whenn kids arfe played by adults inc Colin Welland.

No you're right, I think gnv was trying to be funny, erm fail!:hihi: I've read that it was written in a response to the bad press kids get. I wanted to know the meaning of the saying in general and its origins...:D

Archived