How to stop snoring before i murder my partner

kick her into the spare bed then. :P

If the doc said there was nothing can be done, he/she was wrong. She could try a nasal.spray that helps open up the airways. There is also an operation.

Nasal sprays don't work. In my experience *nothing* works.....:-(

kick her into the spare bed then. :P

If the doc said there was nothing can be done, he/she was wrong. She could try a nasal.spray that helps open up the airways. There is also an operation.

There was an operation called laser palatoplasty. AFAIK, it is no longer carried out. It was only used on those cases where the patient had been proven to have sleep apnoea.

It is (was) moderately successful, but you don't want go go there ...:o (I wouldn't wish that on anybody.)

a CPAP machine may help (but again, they're only used once sleep apnoea has been confirmed.)

The first thing to do is for your partner to ask her GP to refer her for a sleep study to determine whether she does have sleep apnoea, then go from there.

There was an operation called laser palatoplasty. AFAIK, it is no longer carried out. It was only used on those cases where the patient had been proven to have sleep apnoea.

It is (was) moderately successful, but you don't want go go there ...:o (I wouldn't wish that on anybody.)

a CPAP machine may help (but again, they're only used once sleep apnoea has been confirmed.)

The first thing to do is for your partner to ask her GP to refer her for a sleep study to determine whether she does have sleep apnoea, then go from there.

There still is an operation, an uvulopalatopharyngoplasty that can be carried out, but it carried out for the sleep apnea end of the market rather than the snoring keeping people awake end of the market. Also, the CPAP machines are really uncomfortable, noisy and usually lead to huge non compliance issues.

If the person snoring isn't suffering from any of the symptoms of sleep apnea apart from sounding like a walrus every night then I'd suggest that sleep apnea isn't a problem. When my wife has a really bad cold and keeps me awake by her incessant snoring I either spend ages repositioning to be her or it's the spare room for me.

Get them to try a mouthpiece, they stop the bottom jaw falling back and obstructing the throat.

If theses are not working then like me also when i try these and they did not work, i get her to the Dr's to arrange a sleep apnoea test. I have it and have to use a c-pap machine,also my partner who is very slim has sleep apnoea so it does not always go on people weight but he uses a gum gaurd to help has his sleep apnoea is low.Yes you can have an operation, but i was told by the sleep Dr's half of the time it does not work on everyone and it is very painful to have done they have told me 3 times to avoid having it done has also it can come back if the first operation did work. But really i know its not laughing matter with you not gettin any sleep,but i also know with going to the sleeping clinic for over 3ys now that snoring can be a danger to the person who is snoring, it can be linked to other medical problems that you dont know you may have. If it is sleep apnoea you partner can stop breathing in thier sleep and die.So its best to get sorted.

There still is an operation, an uvulopalatopharyngoplasty that can be carried out, but it carried out for the sleep apnea end of the market rather than the snoring keeping people awake end of the market. Also, the CPAP machines are really uncomfortable, noisy and usually lead to huge non compliance issues.

I use a cpap machine and it not uncomfortable or noisy, the noise TBH helps me and my partner sleep.It can at first feel a little strange once you get use to it and got the right mask.But i been useing one now for 3ys i got on great with mine and it gave me my life back to with not sleeping all the time in the day.

Have you tried medical advice? Snoring can be caused by overweight, increasing age, and sleep apnoea, which can all be quite serious.

Other than that there are devices you can buy which claim to stop snoring. :)

Increasing age can be quite serious?

I'm 51. Why has nobody told me this?

If theses are not working then like me also when i try these and they did not work, i get her to the Dr's to arrange a sleep apnoea test. I have it and have to use a c-pap machine,also my partner who is very slim has sleep apnoea so it does not always go on people weight but he uses a gum gaurd to help has his sleep apnoea is low.Yes you can have an operation, but i was told by the sleep Dr's half of the time it does not work on everyone and it is very painful to have done they have told me 3 times to avoid having it done has also it can come back if the first operation did work. But really i know its not laughing matter with you not gettin any sleep,but i also know with going to the sleeping clinic for over 3ys now that snoring can be a danger to the person who is snoring, it can be linked to other medical problems that you dont know you may have. If it is sleep apnoea you partner can stop breathing in thier sleep and die.So its best to get sorted.

The operation (if it's the laser palatoplasty) is quite painless. (It's done under anaesthetic.) There's little pain when you come around, either. - A pretty nasty burning smell, but not a lot of pain.

A laser palatoplasty burns away all the 'dangly bits', (adenoids, tonsils, uvula) the soft palate and the fat under the soft palate.

Ordinarily, the goal with surgical operations is for the wounds to heal quickly, with minimal scarring. In a laser palatoplasty, scarring is a part of the goal. (As the soft palate re-grows, it tears open causing scarring. It then starts to heal and tears again - causing more scarring.) Eventually (about 4 weeks after the operation) everything has healed up and the back of your mouth and your throat is a mass of scar tissue.

There is little pain during the first 3 or 4 days, but after that, you get to learn what pain is.

The doctor who performed the operation on me tried to dissuade me and said that the recovery was going to be very painful. He wasn't lying, either - but it's difficult to explain the level of pain.

I was given as much codeine as my liver would tolerate - 2 tablets every 4 hours (I took that for nearly a month.)

I was also given another 20 tablets and told to keep them for when I really needed them. He stressed the word 'really'. I could take one of those tablets every 6 hours (and they worked - for up to 4 hours a time.)

Codeine itself has side effects (and I ended up in hospital with acute constipation :hihi::hihi::hihi:) Not really funny - both ends hurt (though the constipation pain was considerably less than the pain in my throat.)

After the operation, you have to learn to eat and drink again. They check (when you recover from the initial anaesthetic) that you still do have a gag reflex, but because there is very little at the back of your throat, when you drink, it's likely to come out of your nose and you have to learn not to pour fluids (or food) into your lungs.

It cured the sleep apnoea (not that you do a lot of sleeping during the recovery period ;)) and - an unexpected side-effect - I don't get sore throats (no soft palate to become inflamed) and I rarely get colds or other respiratory ailments.

Notwithstanding the advantages, I wouldn't recommend the procedure.

my friend swears by snoreeze oral strips.

I'm the one that snores and when we go on holiday or share a hotel room he insists I use these and says they work. they are like a little jelly strip you put on your tongue and they just melt away.

I just looked and you can buy them on amazon for a fiver a pack. they could be worth a try.

Archived