Nuisance Calls?

Have some fun with them. When they next call and ask for the lady of the house say 'yes, i'll just go get her' then leave them on the other end of the line and crack on with your day as usual. They'll soon get bored.
That's what I do. They soon get the message when they realise they're talking to themselves.

I have caller display with Virgin, it costs £2 per month(?) but is worth it. Number withheld number comes up.....I don't answer it. Up to date I don't get any of the calls some SF members are getting.

I've got it free with Sky... Shame I never take note of whos calling really... A lot of the time I'll be expecting phonecalls too, and the number that comes up could quite easily be one that I'm awaiting (usually isn't though)

I got a call from Vodafone on Friday, wanting me to consider taking out a contract with them. I told them I had a Tmobile contract with 12 months left, and also Voda signal is rubbish in my area, and I'm not interested.

Another call exactly an hour later, then another, and another, and the same all day saturday. I finally had to get angry and swear at them before they got the flippin message. Idiots :hihi:

I've had '3' Mobile phone me 6 times in the last 4 days, calls made to my mobile with 'Unknown' number..which I thought was illegal from companies selling stuff!! What peed me off is that even when I'd told them I wasn't interested..they're still bloomin' calling me...One phone call to me was at 8:45 pm on Saturday night...'Unknown' number should only be from places like Police or Hospitals (allegedly it's a confidentiality thing), so to be getting calls late at the weekend can really upset people...I'd ignored 2 previous calls that day..and answered on Saturday night thinking it could be a serious call...Nooooo, '3' mobile, again...Well, to say my language was 'colourful' is an understatement....:rant:

I've had '3' Mobile phone me 6 times in the last 4 days, calls made to my mobile with 'Unknown' number..which I thought was illegal from companies selling stuff!! What peed me off is that even when I'd told them I wasn't interested..they're still bloomin' calling me...One phone call to me was at 8:45 pm on Saturday night...'Unknown' number should only be from places like Police or Hospitals (allegedly it's a confidentiality thing), so to be getting calls late at the weekend can really upset people...I'd ignored 2 previous calls that day..and answered on Saturday night thinking it could be a serious call...Nooooo, '3' mobile, again...Well, to say my language was 'colourful' is an understatement....:rant:

They rang me, on tuesday last week I think, I told them once that I wasn't interested, they asked why, and I said I had a contract with ages left on it. They then asked if I knew of anyone else who might be interested (oh yes, I'll pass on a load of details so you can annoy them too) but they haven't rung back.

Lots of things to do here:

1) If you don't want to receive anonymous calls, there is a code you can enter on your telephone. For BT lines, try *227# and for VirginMedia, 1478. This blocks calls from people who withold their telephone number. Google Annonymous Caller rejection for more info.

2) If you have Caller Display and a telephone that is capable of displaying the calling number, just ignore phone calls with no number displayed.

3) Get creative and have your own script that is total rubbish. Don't answer questions with correct answers. Just make it up as you go along. Show massive interest in their products and give them a sale using a fictitious name and address such as 10 Downing Street. If an Indian calls, don't listen to a word but just start telling him / her about the hottest curry you ever had. Have fun at their expense!!

4) Calls that begin: "Is that Mr xxxxxx"? I always answer "No this is Mr zzzzz". This usually results in a pause and an apology. I did have one firm that logged the change and rang back "Is that Mr zzzzz"? To which I replied "No this is Mr yyyy"! They never called back again.

The bottom line is that you need to waste their time. Sure you can register on the TPS and all sorts of things but duff info and ruined sales work much better.

Archived