Suggestions for a beginners Martial Art

jebb

Hi everyone,

I am 34 and looking to take up a martial art for fitness, self-confidence and self-defence.

My question for everyone is which martial art would be the easiest to get into for a complete beginner? I'm looking for an art that is not hugely complicated and doesn't require massive levels of fitness to get started.

Any suggestions would be very welcome and thanks in advance for any help with this.

Jebb

Cyclone is bang on!

Go see as many as you can. Theres so many to look at, belive me I've tried them all:)

But beware don't get sold! Alot of clubs these days have a hard sell to lock you in for ever. Sign up for 10 years we'll give you a free month or if you take up a second morgage we'll give you a spanky new gi!!!!!

Train a number of time see if you like it, if not move on to the next but do it because you enjoy it not because your tied in.

Hope this is useful!

Just a quick thank you for your advice. I know its a difficult question as everybody has different strengths and weaknesses.

What has put me off slightly was reading on a karate site that one of the katas has no less than 64 movements in it. I'm not sure I could cope with that!

Thanks again for the thoughts which have been really helpful.

As everyone said, try a range. Give yourself a couple of months to look around and see whats out there.

The range is massive from aerobics with a bit of martial arts thrown in through 'sports' through to traditional combat styles and modern combat systems. They are all available in the sheffield area.

Its only by visiting a few you'll find the main thing that can influence your decision. The instructors and other students.

Good luck

Archived