Why has the economy just come to a complete stand still?

I certainly don't feel rich and to be honest don't know anyone that does and if u take a look at the link below we don't even feature in the top 10!

http://iipalbanjary.net/richest-countries-2011/

You do realise that you are not the country, but I'm sorry I was being lazy. What I meant to the worlds 4th/5th largest economy, we've actually slipped down to 6 now. Here's the list.

I certainly don't feel rich and to be honest don't know anyone that does and if u take a look at the link below we don't even feature in the top 10!

http://iipalbanjary.net/richest-countries-2011/

Rich and poor are very subjective though. If all your friends have £100 billion, and you only have £10 billion, you're still going to feel poor. Likewise, if you have £1 million, and all your friends have £100, you'll feel very very rich.

On a global scale, you are among the richest people on the planet, even more so if you don't just include finances.

Pity none of them - tory or labour - saw the credit crunch coming!

Disagree - I think they both saw it coming, but decided to do nothing about it, because, well, times were good, and how bad could it get really?

Then it blew up in their faces, and the only recourse they had to keep people from looking at their own mistakes was to blame each other.

Here we go, another bucket load of economic experts to toe their respective party lines. Pity none of them - tory or labour - saw the credit crunch coming!

Speak for yourself. At lot of people who are largely unaffected by the events of the past few years are in that situation precisely because they saw this coming.

Rich and poor are very subjective though. If all your friends have £100 billion, and you only have £10 billion, you're still going to feel poor. Likewise, if you have £1 million, and all your friends have £100, you'll feel very very rich.

On a global scale, you are among the richest people on the planet, even more so if you don't just include finances.

Its relative though. If you have 10 billion and a loaf of bread costs 1 billion, you are poor. Thats the problem we have in the UK. The cost of living has risen dramtically yet income remains static.

Its relative though. If you have 10 billion and a loaf of bread costs 1 billion, you are poor. Thats the problem we have in the UK. The cost of living has risen dramtically yet income remains static.

I think that the point still stands, compared to the average person on this planet, people in the UK are rich.

Speak for yourself.

If you read the post again, you will see I was not refering to myself.

A lot of people who are largely unaffected by the events of the past few years are in that situation precisely because they saw this coming.

I hope they don't feel too smug about it! :hihi:

If you read the post again, you will see I was not refering to myself.

Nor was I expecting you to be - but you were speaking yourself about your perceptions of others.

I hope they don't feel too smug about it! :hihi:

Why not? Or is being successful and prudent - especially when someone who liked being prudent failed to be so so spectacularly now a terribly bad thing?

Its relative though. If you have 10 billion and a loaf of bread costs 1 billion, you are poor. Thats the problem we have in the UK.

Uh, no, actually, it isn't. And that's exactly the point. In the UK, there are very few people indeed who only have 10x the cost of a loaf of bread. That would be approx £10.

There aren't many people - thanks to the welfare state, apart from anything else - who only have a tenner as their entire wealth/assets. However, there are many people in poorer countries who probably only possess the cost of ten loaves of bread.

Archived