Country Boozers Closing

Seems like the boozers in small villages and small towns are having major troubles in these times, smoking ban, expensive ales, as the brewery's raise their prices and now the cost of fuel to get to the chosen place for a meal and a pint. We have 5 pubs who do/did meals around us, the Tenancy for 3 of them are up for grabs - with few takers it seems. The remaining 2 seem to be limping along - just. Is it a sign of the times, a shortage of brass to spend on going out.

Regards

Angel.

Less a lack of brass than the pub co landlords cashing in to appease the investors I fear.

What we need is a continuation of the revolution in the pub industry to local beers and proper freehold pubs. I seemed that the Tories were all in favour of this kind of thing in opposition, as part of the big society idea.

Perhaps tax breaks is the answer.

There are so many factors working against the popularity of pubs that I 'm sorry to say I don 't think there 's a solution. I was a ' dedicated ' boozer, myself for over 50 years but have recently packed it in as a bad job. I didn 't find it a difficult choice at all !

One more bonus----it 's nicer to have the money in MY pocket than in the pockets of greedy, grasping breweries......et al.....

I read in the Sunday Mirror yesterday about pubs closing and one landlord said about people buying cheap beer from supermarkets as opposed to paying £3.50 for a pint of Stella in a pub. Is it surprising at that price, I am not saying it is the landlords fault it is the greedy grasping breweries wanting as much profit as possible. I feel sorry for landlords they can't win.

Seems like the boozers in small villages and small towns are having major troubles in these times, smoking ban, expensive ales, as the brewery's raise their prices and now the cost of fuel to get to the chosen place for a meal and a pint. We have 5 pubs who do/did meals around us, the Tenancy for 3 of them are up for grabs - with few takers it seems. The remaining 2 seem to be limping along - just. Is it a sign of the times, a shortage of brass to spend on going out.

Regards

Angel.

It isn't just in the country - a lot of pubs in the suburbs / estates are struggling and closing down (although there are many more in the city centre).

Number of people going to the pub has been steadily declining for a good twenty years as far as I can see but has accelerated in the last few years due to the recession / high prices.

Think anywhere it needs a higher population to support a viable pub than it used to.

As biotechpete says it is mainly the tenanted pubs which get into trouble, the pub companies ask such ridiculously high rents it's very hard to make a living. What makes it worse is that they usually tie them down to purchasing the stock from them as well, I spoke to an ex tenant a while back and she told me that she had to pay around £140 for a keg of lager which she could buy from a local wholesaler for around £80, they don't stand much chance at that.

I read in the Sunday Mirror yesterday about pubs closing and one landlord said about people buying cheap beer from supermarkets as opposed to paying £3.50 for a pint of Stella in a pub. Is it surprising at that price, I am not saying it is the landlords fault it is the greedy grasping breweries wanting as much profit as possible. I feel sorry for landlords they can't win.

Actually you mean "it is the greedy grasping PUB COMPANIES, (not many Public Houses run by Breweries nowadays) wanting as much profit as possible.

Thank you for listening.

Archived