Is England really in debt?

Who do we owe this money to...? I have never got an answer to this question

The Government borrows money by issuing gilts, which are basically IOUs, promising to repay an amount of money on a particular date and a specified interest rate until then.

Whilst the guilt is held, the Government have to pay interest in much the same way as you would if you borrowed money.

Because of our previous good name, we are, at the moment, considered a safe bet for the money to be repaid and therefore there are multiple entities who buy these guilts.

These entities include:

* Insurance companies and Pension funds

* Overseas countries (large buyers of this debt)

* A number of Banks, including the Bank of England

* Building societies and other financial institutions

* Individual households (you can buy guilts through your stockbroker

* Local Authorities and public corporations.

You can see from the above therefore that the Government owes money to a large number of entities.

they certainly pay some interest because I receive some twice a year

Then I would suggest that a way out for the government would be to allow these investments to go ape shape so that investors lose their money and use the money to pay the "debt". The bankers debt was passed onto the taxpayers. It s now time for the taxpayers to pass it onto the investors .

Then I would suggest that a way out for the government would be to allow these investments to go ape shape so that investors lose their money and use the money to pay the "debt". The bankers debt was passed onto the taxpayers. It s now time for the taxpayers to pass it onto the investors .

So who would we borrow the money off needed to run the country, we are currently spending around £150 billion more than we are receiving in tax. Look at the demonstrations for a cut in spending in billions, imagine what a cut in spending in £150 billion would do to the country?

So who would we borrow the money off needed to run the country, we are currently spending around £150 billion more than we are receiving in tax. Look at the demonstrations for a cut in spending in billions, imagine what a cut in spending in £150 billion would do to the country?

Just let the economy collapse and start afresh. The economy is totally corrupt anyhow. Let us have a new beginning and new order built upon firm and fair principles.

"Castles made of sand fall in the sea eventually"......let the sea take it!

Just let the economy collapse and start afresh. The economy is totally corrupt anyhow. Let us have a new beginning and new order built upon firm and fair principles.

Are you talking about the UK economy or the world economy? Also, what are these fair principles?

So you want all the pension funds to lose money that they currently have, thereby leaving Pensioners with no income.

You want financial institutions to fail and therefore fail to pay out cash that individuals currently hold with them. Cash by the way that is currently guaranted by the Government and this guarantee forms part of the debt. Unless you have all your cash under the bed you'll lose out.

You want us to default spo that all our overseas lenders refuse to deal with us again. Who will a new economy deal with. Cue mass job losses and unemployment !!

You want all individual investors to lose money which I'm guessing would go down fantastically well with all concerned and finally,

you want all local governments and councils to lose money that they currently have invested and believe me they do have money invested to the tune of millions (all your council taxes, etc, etc) are held in interst bearing accounts, etc.

So, in summary a total disaster and delivered without any understanding of how the world works or what would really happen.

Archived