The fear in Britain before Gulf War 1 (1991)

Does anyone remember the buzz, or the genuine fear, that was building up in the World News and British society before Gulf War 1?

Our Air Forces had been blasting Saddam's Iraq apart since early 1991, and in the slow build up of ground forces under US General 'Stormin' Norman Schwarzkopf, such was the tension after Saddam's vow of 'Mother of all battles' that we genuinely believed that we would be conscripted?

• Saddam had one of the World's biggest armies, had stocks of bio weapons (used on the Kurds) and had sworn to use them
  • The US and UK Military minds didn't even know what effect their depleted Uranium would have on their own field weapon's systems, possibly leaving our lads helpless

I remember there being talk in the media of a very possible bloodbath in the desert, with thousands, maybe tens of thousands of allied deaths. Sounds crazy now?

Does anyone remember the buzz, or the genuine fear, that was building up in the World News and British society before Gulf War 1?

Our Air Forces had been blasting Saddam's Iraq apart since early 1991, and in the slow build up of ground forces under US General 'Stormin' Norman Schwarzkopf, such was the tension after Saddam's vow of 'Mother of all battles' that we genuinely believed that we would be conscripted?

• Saddam had one of the World's biggest armies, had stocks of bio weapons (used on the Kurds) and had sworn to use them
  • The US and UK Military minds didn't even know what effect their depleted Uranium would have on their own field weapon's systems, possibly leaving our lads helpless

I remember there being talk in the media of a very possible bloodbath in the desert, with thousands, maybe tens of thousands of allied deaths. Sounds crazy now?

the much vaunted republican guard:hihi: they could not surrender fast enough.

Our Air Forces had been blasting Saddam's Iraq apart since early 1991, and in the slow build up of ground forces under US General 'Stormin' Norman Schwarzkopf, such was the tension after Saddam's vow of 'Mother of all battles' that we genuinely believed that we would be conscripted

Did you really think you were going to be conscripted? How long did you think the war was going to last? How long do you think it takes to train a Soldier/Sailor/Airman?

The US and UK Military minds didn't even know what effect their depleted Uranium would have on their own field weapon's systems, possibly leaving our lads helpless

What makes you think they didn't know anything about DU ammunition? - It had been in use (though not used in combat) for years.

Who believed we would be conscripted? I can't remember it - we had a new born baby at the time so I would have been kinda worried if it was ever a threat. It wasn't.

I remember Peter Snow called it "sabre rattling" even as he stood in his "sandpit".

What jolly japes.

It's weird how the Iraq/US relationship flipped in about 1989. I wonder what happened?

Bizarrely, it doesn't seem to have been the USS Stark.

I remember Peter Snow called it "sabre rattling" even as he stood in his "sandpit".

What jolly japes.

It's weird how the Iraq/US relationship flipped in about 1989. I wonder what happened?

Bizarrely, it doesn't seem to have been the USS Stark.

I think it was the combination of the Halabjah gas attack, and the realisation that Saddam was indeed madder than a box of frogs and would have to be dealt with somehow.

Since he was unstable, prone to unpredictable changes in direction and essentially self sufficient in energy, people, food and sand (the sand was what the ordinary Iraqi got after the food was eaten), there was little they could do except winkle him out by force.

Archived