New insurance law

As i understand the new law, you have to declare SORN if it is not insured, same as you would if it's not taxed. what i don't understand is, if you declare SORN for no insurance, do you also have to send a valid tax disc in to be refunded ?

I would imagine that you do have to send it in otherwise you have people SORNing vehicles that are taxed in order to avoid getting insurance.

jb

Has anyone heard about the new insurance law basically if you have an uninsured car even if you dont drive it it can be towed away and crushed. Its a really cleaver way of making money for the goverment SO BEWARE IF YOUR CAR IS UNINSURED IT WILL BE TOWED AWAY:shakes::

It would be nice if these new measures helped reduce the number of uninsured vehicles on the road, but I suspect it will just lead to more points/bans being issued to people who don't have driving licenses.

It would be nice if these new measures helped reduce the number of uninsured vehicles on the road, but I suspect it will just lead to more points/bans being issued to people who don't have driving licenses.
But it will catch up with thousands who are driving uninsured,and that's why this scheme is being implemented......no doubt being influenced by the insurance companies who want to reduce insured drivers premiums.......Not!!!

Has anyone heard about the new insurance law basically if you have an uninsured car even if you dont drive it it can be towed away and crushed. Its a really cleaver way of making money for the goverment SO BEWARE IF YOUR CAR IS UNINSURED IT WILL BE TOWED AWAY:shakes::

I was unaware that you could get your car insured by the Government!

I think its a good idea, it stops all those people who dont SORN cars, drive them about and park on a driveway, if you dont intend on driving a car why would you have an uninsured and un SORN car parked on it anyway? :huh:

If a car is genuinely off the road, why wouldn't you SORN it? No need for MOT, road tax, insurance...

In my case I had two cars. I originally had a little 1.3 Diesel Punto - one of those where tax was only £35 for the year (its now £20).

I bought a Peugeot 306 dTurbo and began to use that as my regular car. I changed over the insurance and left the Punto on the drive, taxed and tested as it wasn't worth cashing in the tax (I didn't even know if you could) and it was nice to know I could log onto Swiftcover and "activate" the car at any time should I need to.

The problem is this:

If I theoretically loaned the car to a mate and I assumed he had insurance (but didn't) that's where the problem lies. He could get prosecuted (if caught) but would rely on him being stopped by police.

Now we have so many ANPR cameras its far easier to catch uninsured drivers this way, and I would also get done for lending him the car and contributing to the problem and would take that car off the road.

In Liverpool we have ANPR on the Mersey Tunnel. Its very amusing that you go in one side and by the time you get to the other the police can be waiting to stop you! And to make it that little bit harder there are also cameras on the river crossing further down, meaning someone without tax, MOT or insurance would have to do an 80 mile detour to get onto the Wirral!

I was unaware that you could get your car insured by the Government!

I think its a good idea, it stops all those people who dont SORN cars, drive them about and park on a driveway, if you dont intend on driving a car why would you have an uninsured and un SORN car parked on it anyway? :huh:

Why shouldn't I?

I have a classic BMW and a Mk2 Landrover - both are uninsured against 3rd party risks (but have tax) and sit on my driveway until they get used on occassions.

In my case I had two cars. I originally had a little 1.3 Diesel Punto - one of those where tax was only £35 for the year (its now £20).

I bought a Peugeot 306 dTurbo and began to use that as my regular car. I changed over the insurance and left the Punto on the drive, taxed and tested as it wasn't worth cashing in the tax (I didn't even know if you could) and it was nice to know I could log onto Swiftcover and "activate" the car at any time should I need to.

The problem is this:

If I theoretically loaned the car to a mate and I assumed he had insurance (but didn't) that's where the problem lies. He could get prosecuted (if caught) but would rely on him being stopped by police.

Now we have so many ANPR cameras its far easier to catch uninsured drivers this way, and I would also get done for lending him the car and contributing to the problem and would take that car off the road.

In Liverpool we have ANPR on the Mersey Tunnel. Its very amusing that you go in one side and by the time you get to the other the police can be waiting to stop you! And to make it that little bit harder there are also cameras on the river crossing further down, meaning someone without tax, MOT or insurance would have to do an 80 mile detour to get onto the Wirral!

It wouldn't matter whether he had insurance or not as there needs to be an active policy on the car.

jb

Archived