New insurance law

Why shouldn't I?

I have a classic BMW and a Mk2 Landrover - both are uninsured against 3rd party risks (but have tax) and sit on my driveway until they get used on occassions.

You must have a good broker to just insure you for when you need to use them on occasions

It wouldn't matter whether he had insurance or not as there needs to be an active policy on the car.

jb

No, he could have gone to dayinsure.com or something similar and insured it.

The point is, if he hadn't and the car was taxed and tested then the normal channels wouldn't have picked it up, but now we have more ANPR it will.

The point is, if he hadn't and the car was taxed and tested then the normal channels wouldn't have picked it up, but now we have more ANPR it will.

OK, I misunderstood.

jb

As i understand the new law, you have to declare SORN if it is not insured, same as you would if it's not taxed. what i don't understand is, if you declare SORN for no insurance, do you also have to send a valid tax disc in to be refunded ?

It doesn't make sense. Say you have a sports or classic car you only use in the summer, so you keep it SORN during the winter months, but you'd still want it insured against fire or theft even if it's not going on the road. Does declaring SORN exclude you from insuring it?

You must have a good broker to just insure you for when you need to use them on occasions

http://www.dayinsure.com/ is one option.

They are covered against fire and theft but not agaisnt third party losses. For a holiday or a car show I call up the insurers and ask for a weeks cover and there you go - cost is minimal and it's easy - or it was till this rather asinine law cam in.

And they pick it up even when it is insured because the database isn't updated for the APNR very often. Got stopped eight times one day due to that.

It wouldn't matter whether he had insurance or not as there needs to be an active policy on the car.

jb

No there doesn't. I can drive any car I don't own, ie one lent to me or one I'm thinking of buying on my current policy.

No there doesn't. I can drive any car I don't own, ie one lent to me or one I'm thinking of buying on my current policy.

Likewise. I do have to phone my insurers however and pass them the details. They authorise me over the phone (and e-mail me confirmation.)

I have 2 motorcycles in my garage. At the moment, they are both insured (because I may decide tro use either of them.) In a couple of weeks, one will be take 'off cover' (and I will get ocean transit cover for it - it is going to be shipped elsewhere.)

In winter, I phone the insurers and remove road coverage. (The bikes are still insured for fire and theft.) If we have an early period of good weather (as happened this year) a phone call to the insurers puts one or both of the bikes back on cover.

The weather tends to be harsh here in winter and motorcycles and RVs (campers etc) often have 'seasonal' plates valid from 1 April to 30 September. There's no need to SORN a vehicle during the winter - the plates show a policeman (or an ANPR camera) that the vehicle is not authorised to be used on the road.

Why shouldn't I?

I have a classic BMW and a Mk2 Landrover - both are uninsured against 3rd party risks (but have tax) and sit on my driveway until they get used on occassions.

Because if they get used on the road and are un-insured, it is illegal.

Why do you have cars you use and yet do not have insurance for?

Archived