New insurance law

God help us from barrack room lawyers. If a vehicle is kept off the road for any reason and has been declared SORN it isn't taxed, and un-taxed vehicles cannot be insured for road use, some insurers might insure it for off road fire and theft, but what business is that of the DVLA?

Under the terms of the little-known continuous insurance enforcement law, it will be an offence to "keep" an uninsured vehicle, whether a car, van, motorbike, motorhome or truck – even if it is locked up in the garage or permanently parked on a driveway.

Who on the forum will this new law apply to. Who has an old banger in their garage, or on their drive. Unless it is insured from to-day YOU are breaking the law.

Regards

Angel.

If there's anything worse than a nuisance it's an uneducated nuisance. :loopy:

It doesn't make sense. Say you have a sports or classic car you only use in the summer, so you keep it SORN during the winter months, but you'd still want it insured against fire or theft even if it's not going on the road. Does declaring SORN exclude you from insuring it?

Only for on road risks, this includes places like car parks or anywhere that can be classed as a public area.

God help us from barrack room lawyers. If a vehicle is kept off the road for any reason and has been declared SORN it isn't taxed, and un-taxed vehicles cannot be insured for road use, some insurers might insure it for off road fire and theft, but what business is that of the DVLA?

But what if you have a car like the Punto in my example? You declare it SORN but don't send the tax back and claim a refund?

But what if you have a car like the Punto in my example? You declare it SORN but don't send the tax back and claim a refund?

I don't understand you, send the tax back where? If you keep it off road and SORN it, you are entitled to a refund of any full months left on the tax disc.

Yes I can. That relates to keeping - not using a vehicle.

Edit: Also, you see the "Prospective" tag up there?

No you can't. This is really not rocket science.

Commencement No 6

Commencement No 7

So section 22 is now in force. This means that if a car is kept on road it needs to be taxed and insured by the owner. If it is off road then it needs to be SORNed and cannot be driven on public roads.

jb

Archived