New insurance law

And as I said that relates to keeping, not using.

If a car is kept off road it cannot be used on road.

If a car is kept on road it has to be taxed and insured by the owner. You cannot use a car on road if it is not kept on road. What is it about this that you are finding so hard to understand?

jb

ETA: http://www.mib.org.uk/Motor+Insurance+Database/en/Continuous+Insurance+Enforcement/default.htm

... it is now a legal requirement for registered vehicle keepers to insure their vehicle(s) at all times.

One of my cars is registered in France.

I often will drive other cars from freinds and they are registered in Germany.

That's for starters. As I also note, if *I* have third party cover to drive a vehicle then that use of the vehicle is legal *by me*. The status of insurance as regards keeping it by someone else is immaterial for the purposes of *using* the vehicle on the road.

What part of this is difficult for you to understand?

If a car is kept off road it cannot be used on road.

If a car is kept on road it has to be taxed and insured by the owner. You cannot use a car on road if it is not kept on road. What is it about this that you are finding so hard to understand?

jb

ETA: http://www.mib.org.uk/Motor+Insurance+Database/en/Continuous+Insurance+Enforcement/default.htm

No it's not.

It's a requirement to either insure them or have other security, or declare them as SORN. It only covers UK registered vehicles.

Try and learn the law - it'll help you.

That's for starters. As I also note, if *I* have third party cover to drive a vehicle then that use of the vehicle is legal *by me*. The status of insurance as regards keeping it by someone else is immaterial for the purposes of *using* the vehicle on the road.

What part of this is difficult for you to understand?

Usually you can only drive another car third party if that car is covered by another policy..? If not then, for example, you could have fully comp. on an old banger and drive your ferrari on the third party cover available on your banger's insurance..?

Usually you can only drive another car third party if that car is covered by another policy..? If not then, for example, you could have fully comp. on an old banger and drive your ferrari on the third party cover available on your banger's insurance..?

Not usually - my policy for example specifically gives me third party only cover for another vehicle that doesnt belong to me and is not hired to me under an HP agreement or similar.

Correct, I wonder when the authorities are going to lift the car tax and insurance exclusions, in respect of folk living on sink council estates. :o

Not usually - my policy for example specifically gives me third party only cover for another vehicle that doesnt belong to me and is not hired to me under an HP agreement or similar.

Yes I understand thet,but most of the ones I've had have stipulated that the car in question must have insurance of it's own..specifically to avoid the situation in my previous post..easy to register the Ferrari in the wife's name :)

No it's not.

It's a requirement to either insure them or have other security, or declare them as SORN. It only covers UK registered vehicles.

Try and learn the law - it'll help you.

So you agree that the owner has to either declare SORN or insure (or have some other form of security I'll grant you). Given that please explain how:

1) you are going to legally use a car on the road that is SORNed or,

2) you are going to legally use a car on the road which is taxed but uninsured by the registered keeper.

jb#

ETA: Of course it only covers UK vehicles. I remind you we are on Sheffield forums on a thread discussing the new insurance laws in the UK.

So you agree that the owner has to either declare SORN or insure (or have some other form of security I'll grant you). Given that please explain how:

1) you are going to legally use a car on the road that is SORNed or,

2) you are going to legally use a car on the road which is taxed but uninsured by the registered keeper.

jb#

ETA: Of course it only covers UK vehicles. I remind you we are on Sheffield forums on a thread discussing the new insurance laws in the UK.

And I'll remind you that free travel within the EU is not uncommon and seeing other car registrations in the UK is not uncommon.

Why would you do that?

I don't understand you, send the tax back where? If you keep it off road and SORN it, you are entitled to a refund of any full months left on the tax disc.

Have you read my example? The road tax is £20 a year because it has a small "clean" engine.

Would the DVLA refund part of the £20 or not? Is it worth the hassle to refund for just £20?

Archived