Who should teach children to cross the road??

As a parent of two little ones, I am constantly trying to make them aware of the world around them. I absolutely see it as my job to send my kids to school with the skills they will need to be safe and succeed. I think it's the parents' job first and foremost and then hopefully the school will re-enforce it.

Reading this post has convinced me the world has gone slightly mad.

Starting in Sheffield it seems.

Who should teach children to cross the road, let me guess; Parents would be my choice, as they are responsible for their offspring - arn't they?.

Regards

Angel.

A lady I used to work with had her son collected every day by the LEA transport scheme, he had discipline problems and couldn't make it to school on his own. When I asked if it would continue when he moved to secondary school she told me 'Of course they HAVE to transport him because THEY haven't taught him to cross the road yet'

I'm not sure if she's one of those parents who let everyone else do the parenting or if there is some compulsary road safety thing that schools do.

I'd guess the first, she was also convinced that the hot school lunch he got free relieved her of cooking any dinner and was designed to 'give her a bit of a break' :(

Didn't Daft Ada do that before he got the job on Star Wars?

ROFL @ Daft Ada! :lol:

Yes, David "Darth Vader" Prowse was the Green Cross Code man in the late 70s.

It's the responsibility of everybody who is around the children, under the direction of the parents. By the time they start school they should already be aware of the basics and be well on the way of looking carefully before stepping out, although hazard and risk perception is not a forte in a 5 or 6 year old, even if they understand that they should be doing something.

Agreed. My grandchildren are 3 and 2. They both know 'Red means stop and Green means go' and they accept that they may only cross the road at a pedestrian signal. Hopefully, they won't see adults doing otherwise.

When they come to minor roads (with no crossing places) they are very careful. - They stop and look, but if there is any traffic around they can't judge what it is going to do so they wait until they are told they can cross.

No and I wouldn't necessarily have mentioned it if there had been a medical reason for the 5 year old to be wearing nappys. The teacher asked for an extra TA as several 5 year olds in class were not toilet trained. The one in pull ups was the least extreme.

Because both parents are so busy working, to avoid being labeled as 'feckless parents' they've lost track of the fact that they are parents. Parenting is not a part-time job and your children get out of parenting what you put in.

Archived