Who should teach children to cross the road??

Agreed. My grandchildren are 3 and 2. They both know 'Red means stop and Green means go' and they accept that they may only cross the road at a pedestrian signal. Hopefully, they won't see adults doing otherwise.

When they come to minor roads (with no crossing places) they are very careful. - They stop and look, but if there is any traffic around they can't judge what it is going to do so they wait until they are told they can cross.

My children are 4 and 6 and they both know they are NEVER to cross a road without holding an adults hand. They are both aware of the rules for crossing the road, and frequently tell me what I'm doing wrong. Children of that age are not able to judge distances or speed and as such are, in my opinion, not able to cross the road safely on their own.

Parents but unfortunately they don't always do so which is why it will have been done in school time as well

I agree. Many mums and dads (assuming thet know who dad is) are pure crap idiots so the school has to fill in for the useless, probably dole scrounging, useless ones.

I agree. Many mums and dads (assuming thet know who dad is) are pure crap idiots so the school has to fill in for the useless, probably dole scrounging, useless ones.

It may well be like that in 'Wath' but in the rest of the area you'll generaly find that at weddings the father of the bride isn't the father of the groom.

I mentioned this thread to a friend who works in a nursery which takes babies from 6 months of age until 4 or 5. She made the observation that often parents only have their children full time for the 6 weeks annual holiday that the parents can have from work. If that is the case there are many things that the children don't get from their parents.

I personally think any parent who believes it's someone elses job should have their children taken into care.

Absolutely!

My children, and now my grandaughter (2 in August) have all been made aware of crossing the road safely. And its up to us as responsible parents to learn them from an early age.

Unfortunately, not all parents are this responsible, and in many instances, you see them doing the exact opposite and setting a bad example, even with kids in tow!

Jayne

Absolutely!

My children, and now my grandaughter (2 in August) have all been made aware of crossing the road safely. And its up to us as responsible parents to learn them from an early age.

Unfortunately, not all parents are this responsible, and in many instances, you see them doing the exact opposite and setting a bad example, even with kids in tow!

Jayne

Put the parents into care more like

I was talking about this after with a friends after seeing seeing school children been shown how to cross the road safely by teachers and wondered what every one else thought.

So whos responsibility should it be...

the parents, school or both ?

Is this a variant of the "Why did the chicken cross the road" joke?:huh:

Obviously parents have the first responsibility, but I don't see anything wrong in road safety being reinforced by lessons at school. What I don't see any more are government public safety adverts like the Green Cross Code Man or Tufty Club. What happened to them?

And do schools still offer the Cycling Proficiency lessons and test? I did that and passed and I never got run over on my bike. I only ever got run over once and that was when I ran across the road to get to school in time aged five.

Archived