Who should teach children to cross the road??

Obviously parents have the first responsibility, but I don't see anything wrong in road safety being reinforced by lessons at school. What I don't see any more are government public safety adverts like the Green Cross Code Man or Tufty Club. What happened to them?

And do schools still offer the Cycling Proficiency lessons and test? I did that and passed and I never got run over on my bike. I only ever got run over once and that was when I ran across the road to get to school in time aged five.

Couldn't agree more!

Because both parents are so busy working, to avoid being labeled as 'feckless parents' they've lost track of the fact that they are parents. Parenting is not a part-time job and your children get out of parenting what you put in.

There are lots of parents who work and who spend quality time with their small children. I also see plenty who don't work whose children are often just sitting in their buggies, being totally ignored. I wonder which ones will understand road safety or be most prepared for school?

Back on topic - of course its up to parents to teach children about road safety, but as Nagel says being reinforced by schools is also a good thing. And I think we should bring back the Tufty Club! ;)

We've got 2 grandchildren, ones 15 and the other nearly 5, the 5 yr old's mum does it, and the 15 yr old's mum did it...

I also did and still do with both of them, and im sure if any responsible teacher saw them being "silly" near the road they would do the same...:)

My point is, anyone, even a neighbour seeing a child near the road doing the wrong thing should tell them so....:)

There are lots of parents who work and who spend quality time with their small children. I also see plenty who don't work whose children are often just sitting in their buggies, being totally ignored. I wonder which ones will understand road safety or be most prepared for school?

Back on topic - of course its up to parents to teach children about road safety, but as Nagel says being reinforced by schools is also a good thing. And I think we should bring back the Tufty Club! ;)

Well said. :)

Archived