Does anyone remember Dolphin Street?

kirky

to Dean 1,hello ,I;m new to this forum.I was reading the Dolphin St., thread for information for a mate of mine,when I saw that you wanted the names of the men killed in the Nunnuery pit accident of 1923,If you get in touch,I'll send you the names Would have PM'd you ,but don't know how.

Hi just to let you know that the hectors were my family, i am the eldest of rita hector, who has sister norah, brothers jack and fred

hi fred hector was my grandad died in 2008 he moved with his wife elsie used to be called barnes to frechville where most of the family still live around the area

• 3 weeks later...
hi fred hector was my grandad died in 2008 he moved with his wife elsie used to be called barnes to frechville where most of the family still live around the area

My Mum and Dad lived at Dolphin Street and I remember Mr Hector and his wife.

After the Gales in the sixties everyone was moved out but My mum still keeps in touch with some of the families.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
I used to live at 23 Dolphin Street with my Dad worked for British Rail. My Sister and Brother were born there too.

Our house was the other side of Marriotts Farm, Many a time my mum would say she would put us over the wall to the geese.

Uncle Alf and Auntie Rennee Guy were close friends to my parents, also Auntie Jean Gamble.

Our next door neighbour was Mrs Archer to one side and Pete and Ivy Spencer.

I remember crossing the railway bridge to go to Church and School.

There was a corner shop which my dad used to have a jug of beer on a Saturday.

We all played and grow up together, Happy Days.

When the Gails of 1962 hit we all had to move away which I remember was so very sad but we did keep in touch with alot of families.

If anyone remembers Don Gordon my late father please do feel free to reply?

My name is Ruby.

Hi ruby my name is Sandra Spencer Peter and ivys daughter I remember your family your brother donny and sister we used to visit you,i don't remember dolphin street as I was only one year old when we lived there, but your mum and my mum were friends for along time been looking at the pictures of dolphin street though, if I remember your mum is called Daphne Gordon hope all is well with your family.

• 8 months later...
:thumbsup: hi jazzer

i cant rember u but in 51 i was still at wooburn rd school i had two brothers TED &HAROLD and a sister MINIE GELSTHORPE

had some mates barry plant he went in the army same time as our ted and tommy gouge i rememer the johnsons the mays the hectors

drakes old MRS BISHOP at the corner shop and ANNIE NIXON had the fruit and veg shop on the other corner

IF U WANT ANY MORE INFO PLEASE LET ME KNO

Hi I have been searching my memory to but names to people I remember from Dolphin street and you give me two names Barry Plant he was in the same class as me and I remember going to their house with him I also r ember one of the Gouges, was the corner shop also a beer off.

• 7 months later...
Here is a list of names on the Dolphin Street ww1 memorial does anyone out there relate to them? I hope I got them right, can't guarantee it since the photo was a little out of focus and was of hand painted scroll writing. I apologise if they aren't correct.

The framed memorial was headed "For King and Country"

It had a a two line heading which is unclear but I think it says

"for the people killed and who answered the call of duty

from Dolphin Street and Broad Oaks Lane to the Great World War of 1914:

Killed and died of wounds

Pte A. Johnson RSF July1916 ( I think he was my grandad Turner's sister's relative)

Pte J Leary RSF March 1916 (we knew her as aunt Lizzie Johnson)

Pte J Elkington 1st july 1916 (He was my Aunt Annie's Dad she was one at the time)

Corporal N. Jaques W.Y. Oct 6th 1916

Gunner J. Jaques W.Y. 21st July 1917

Pte J. Wooley Jan 16th 1917

Pt J Waller Oct 2nd 1917

Pt K. Norton (or Martin not clear) Oct 5th 1917

Wounded

Pte J Smith Y & L

Pte J. Leary WY

Driver J. Drake RFA M.M.

L. Corporal H Drake S.W.W.R.

Rifleman J.H. Smith R.A. This was my grandad known as Champy.

Pt A.K. Jarvis 3rd W.Y.

Corporal V. Hutchinson W.Y. (My uncle married champy's Eldest daughter)

Pt K Bradbury D.L. I.

Corporal Halley R.S.F.

Pte Halley

Corporal J. W. Bellamy Y.I.

Corporal J. Bellamy RFA

Corporal J. Pegg R.E.

Pt J.Halgate? M.G.C.

Gunner J.H. Turner R.F.A. (my Uncle, he married Laura Bellamy Sister of above and Billy.

Pte F. Capel Y.I.

L. Corporal Latrant K.O.S.B.

Pte J. Thompson W.Y.

Pte A. Shepherd Y.I.

Pte J. Bagnall KOYLI

L Corporal P. Turner R.M.L.I. (my Dad)

Pte W. Newton Y.I.

Pte C.A. Capel 2nd R.M.F.

Not Wounded

Pte A.H. Burton 14th Glos

Sapper J Kirkham R.E.

Rifleman H. Emmingham K.R.R.

Pte W. Halley York R.

Pte W. Halley 14th Glos

Pte H. Hawley W.Y.

Pte A Birchwood A.S.C.

Gunner J. Lambert R.F.A.

JCES H. Hector R.F.A.

Pte A. Turner M.G.C. (my uncle Arthur)

Pte J. Harthill W.Y.

Pte F. Leary D.L.I.

Pte Bishop 2nd Res CAV

Pte E Smedley KOYLI

Pte G.A. Peach KOYLI

Sgt J.W. Leary D.L.I.

Pte A Inckley? KOYLI

Pte E. Jenkin R.M.L.I.

Pte W. Irveman C & G

Pte A. Nuttall W.Y.

Cpl D. May N.D.

Pte E. Johnson C & G

they all received good report and gloriously triumphed in victory

The path of duty was the way to victory

Suscribed by all the neighbours

Does anyone Know where the memorial went when the street was demolished?

Hi Ronty I have just discovered this sight and thanks for posting the contents of the WWI war memorial plaque. Rifleman J. H. Smith (Champy) was my great grandfather and V. Hutchinson was my mothers aunt's husband (uncle). Champy lived at 1 Broad Oaks Lane and my grandmother Alice Smith lived right next door to him. She married John Oldfield and had my mother. John died when my mother was five and Alice then married a Tommy Taylor. I remember a lot of the names in the other postings. Bringing back lots of memories!!!

Edited by Canman

hi missis, glad the photo was some help, i was born on harrogate road just off kettlebridge and dolphin streetwas no longer a bustling street me and my friends spent many a happy time tadpoling in cowlishaws pond which was part of the old nunnery pit remember the slag heaps well happy times.

we all played around cowlishaws pond when we were kids around 1955. i remember some kid drowned in there around that time.

---------- Post added 24-03-2013 at 10:15 ----------

Hi whoever is still on this thread ..

We lived in Dolphin Street from 1951 to when it blew down in the gales of 1962, I was born in 1953 so had my first 9 years there. My dad still remembers a lot from those days and we are digging out some of the photos taken on my mothers box brownie. My dad was in lodgings at Mrs Taylors (no 2) before we were allocated a house (22)

and while there (approx 1948/1949 as far as I can work it out)distinctly remembers a somewhat unstable neighbour having a go at the memorial with an axe, presumably to destruction. Which will explain why no-one has managed to find it. I have a photo of the flattened street with Mariott's farm (between the street and the railway) still going strong, with new factories emerging over on

the pit site. When I think how much freedom we had to roam the pit stacks, build dams in the streams, scrumping apples from Mariots farm etc etc I realise how overprotected and underpriviledged kids of today actually are......

you will remember david fox then ?.

we all played around cowlishaws pond when we were kids around 1955. i remember some kid drowned in there around that time.

---------- Post added 24-03-2013 at 10:15 ----------

you will remember david fox then ?.

Mrs. Taylor (Alice) was my grandmother. I lived in her house (with my family) for about a year around 1954 then again in 1957 for a couple of months before we immigrated to Canada. I remember playing on the pit hills but being ever watchful for the watchman. I don't remember his name but he used to run us off. In the winter I remember tobogganing down the hills. I remember a lot of the names I have seen mentioned but do distinctly remember a boy called Jonathan Guy. His father (believe his name was Alf) worked for the railway and took me one day to work and I rode in the engine with him. My brother and I went to Woodburn Road school for one year and had to cross the foot bridge to get there. Names I remember are Bishop, Drake, Googe, Egan, Hector, Nixon. I also remember a man with an artificial leg. I think his name was Stan.