Does anyone remember Dolphin Street?

kirky

mrs. Taylor (alice) was my grandmother. I lived in her house (with my family) for about a year around 1954 then again in 1957 for a couple of months before we immigrated to canada. I remember playing on the pit hills but being ever watchful for the watchman. I don't remember his name but he used to run us off. In the winter i remember tobogganing down the hills. I remember a lot of the names i have seen mentioned but do distinctly remember a boy called jonathan guy. His father (believe his name was alf) worked for the railway and took me one day to work and i rode in the engine with him. My brother and i went to woodburn road school for one year and had to cross the foot bridge to get there. Names i remember are bishop, drake, googe, egan, hector, nixon. I also remember a man with an artificial leg. I think his name was stan.

i lived in dolphin street from 1944 to 1955 the person with the artificial leg was my uncle stan hawley who was wounded in germany 2nd world war my name is stuart howden and we lived at no. 34

hi

my parents lived in dolphin street, they were called rita and brian lonsdale, my grandparents beatrice and fred hector, my aunt and uncle norah and david fox and their family. we moved from there when i was about 3 so dont remember anything about it. did you know any of them?

i knew the hectors and david fox. i remember david keeping pigeons in his loft.

i lived in dolphin street from 1944 to 1955 the person with the artificial leg was my uncle stan hawley who was wounded in germany 2nd world war my name is stuart howden and we lived at no. 34

Wow this is amazing stuff. As you have probably seen from earlier posts, I only lived there for a little while but I remember so much about it. All the people were friendly and helpful. The more posts I read the more memories come back. I went back to England in 2001 and went looking for Dolphin St./Broad Oaks Lane but sadly it had gone. I remember an old man who had a bulldog in a small wooden cage in his yard. We used to tease it sometimes.

Mrs. Taylor (Alice) was my grandmother. I lived in her house (with my family) for about a year around 1954 then again in 1957 for a couple of months before we immigrated to Canada. I remember playing on the pit hills but being ever watchful for the watchman. I don't remember his name but he used to run us off. In the winter I remember tobogganing down the hills. I remember a lot of the names I have seen mentioned but do distinctly remember a boy called Jonathan Guy. His father (believe his name was Alf) worked for the railway and took me one day to work and I rode in the engine with him. My brother and I went to Woodburn Road school for one year and had to cross the foot bridge to get there. Names I remember are Bishop, Drake, Googe, Egan, Hector, Nixon. I also remember a man with an artificial leg. I think his name was Stan.

jud drake was my brothers best freind when they were kids. my brothers name is walt christian we lived on ripon street.

Hi Kirky

I vaguely recall Dolphin street as being just over Kettle Bridge, behind a company that may have been called Record Ridgeway or Record tools..

It's what as kids back in the late 60's early 70's knew as Dolphin street anyhow!, the houses were gone completely and there was old cars/vans dumped on the land, from memory I don't think there were any other houses or anything (flippin' senility galloping on!!)

EDIT- Ha ha ha!!, I just looked at the date on Kirkys original post!- 2003!!!

Cheers, Biggsy :)

Edited by biggsy

• 4 months later...

Hi Kirky, I remember Dolphin Street very well i lived on Broad oaks in the 60s up to the early 70s it was where someone said, just over the railway bridge from the bottom of broad oaks, in between broad Oaks and dolphin street was te railway main line that went in a sort of triangle with an Island in the middle that we all called Rhubard Island i remember 2 people of my age that lived on dolphin street they were John Fox, and Susan Taylor oh and a girl called Mary Beadle, we all went to Woodbourne Road School i also remember the big fights between the wybournites and the woodbournites..

Stuart Crump

hi.

I was born in Dolphin Street in 1948. I can't remember much about it.

Does anybody remember the Tavernor's.

I don't remember what number house we lived in.

But we moved to Cottingham Street when I was young

Hi Wednesday115,

I work with someone called Tavernor (quite a rare name), he's only in his 30's though but i told him about your post. He was impressed that someone spelt it right :D

He says he'll ask his dad if they had relations on Dolphin St.

You don't remember any of their Christian names do you?

Hi Wednesday115,

I work with someone called Tavernor (quite a rare name), he's only in his 30's though but i told him about your post. He was impressed that someone spelt it right :D

He says he'll ask his dad if they had relations on Dolphin St.

You don't remember any of their Christian names do you?

Hi/Baldy67.

I live up Durham now but my brother still lives in Sheffield.

So it could be one of his lads who you work with.

What is your mates name.