Why do German hotels and many other places in the country give free apples?

Australian hotels do too.

And you need to remember to eat it before you travel to New Zealand or NZ customs will seize it, weigh it (123g), destroy it and give you a written warning about how close you came to destroying New Zealand's agriculture! :D

John X

Australian hotels do too.

And you need to remember to eat it before you travel to New Zealand or NZ customs will seize it, weigh it (123g), destroy it and give you a written warning about how close you came to destroying New Zealand's agriculture! :D

John X

You see that all the time on that Nothing To Declare TV program, they give them on the planes too, people often "save them for later" then the NZ customs jump on them. I suspect it's an Australian joke of some sort.

You think that's bad, I was shopping in a certain "freezer center" and noticed a staff member removing all the boxes of grapes from the shelves. I asked if she was going to reduce the price of them, but she said they'd got tomorrows best before date on them and they were going in the bin.

As they looked to be in better condition than some I'd bought from other places recently I asked about the chances of getting some out of the bins, but apparently they put disinfectant or bleach on them to discourage that sort of thing.

Or they were going to take them into the back room and put next week's date on them.;)

I hope they did, it was a shame to waste them

In the case of fresh food, such as grapes, I agree. Sell by/eat by dates are a complete waste of time.

If it hasn't started to go off, then I will eat it. If it is going mouldy, then I will either throw it away or just cut off the moldy bits and eat the rest.

Archived