Equality legislation - has it worked?

I don't know about you but I feel we would have been at the same stage we are now if there had been no legislation to improve the treatment of minority groups. I feel some of it has actually set the cause back. It's just too ridiculous for words.

Women, ethnic groups, the disabled and others would IMO have been just as well off without the government getting involved.

Most supposed inequality is just made up by left wing do-gooders who feel the need to patronise minority groups to earn brownie points from their peers.

I once worked with a black girl who hated the whole thing. She said she felt "patronised" and "a bit of an idiot" by it all, she didn't want any different treatment, she just wanted them to stop all the nonesence.

A good example of how stupid the nation has become, in this example its race, was seen on the One Show, recently.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2006540/Chris-Evans-race-row-saying-black-scientist.html

Legislation doesn't prevent discrimination. They will always have excuses as to why you were not chosen. Discrimionation exists in the workplace whether ther is a law against it or not. All I've seen of the anti-discrimination laws are the ridiculous attempts by employers to get round the legislations. I can remember working for a company who hired an Asian woman who was deaf, one of the bosses pointed out in what, I assume, he thought was an amusing manner "Well that's our minorities sorted out, female, coloured AND disabled". I think she lasted less than a month.

Legislation doesn't prevent discrimination. They will always have excuses as to why you were not chosen. Discrimionation exists in the workplace whether ther is a law against it or not. All I've seen of the anti-discrimination laws are the ridiculous attempts by employers to get round the legislations. I can remember working for a company who hired an Asian woman who was deaf, one of the bosses pointed out in what, I assume, he thought was an amusing manner "Well that's our minorities sorted out, female, coloured AND disabled". I think she lasted less than a month.

Why do you think he thought it was amusing? These laws can have a very large impact on the way some companies work. Have you ever tendered for work in the public sector? I think the most striking example that I came across was when trying to get on the Wolverhampton list of preferred contractors.

They sent us a 100+ page document for us to tell them about our company, the majority of which had nothing to do with our ability to carry out the task but were questions which asked us to explain the make-up of our staff, how many were ethnic minorities, where those people came from, what % were disabled, how many women managers we emtc. etc.

We were a medium sized company who employed people on their skill-set and merit. Hence when we found one of our guys was registered disabled we could put ticks in boxes to satisfy the likes of Wolverhampto MBC. Note that I said WHEN we found one of our guys was registered disabled, he had not declared it, we had not asked it, just took him on based on his ability to do the job.

I know someone who is an HR Director for a multinational firm and some of the stories I'm told clearly show that the introduction of these laws has led to so called minorities trying to take advantage.

Anyway, equalised state pensions anyone? One of the biggest elephants in the room and as far as I'm aware not acted on due to issues pertaining to equality, it's down to the fact we can't afford it any more..

One of the most glaring examples of where the government / council is wrong is in the number of disabled parking bays shops and the like have to have. Its ludicrous and 75% at least are always empty when I go, for example to Tesco's. Why can't the shop do its own research into how many are needed? If they are needed the shop would have them for commercial reasons alone..

What do you base this opinion on?

The current system encourages discrimination..Once a forced quota is reached a company may feel agrieved that they have been forced to employ someone who was not the best candidate. And therefore discriminate against further applicants because they feel miffed...IMO

The current system encourages discrimination..Once a forced quota is reached a company may feel agrieved that they have been forced to employ someone who was not the best candidate. And therefore discriminate against further applicants because they feel miffed...IMO

As opposed to discriminating against them because of ignorance, racism or bigotry? Nice choice isn't it!

As opposed to discriminating against them because of ignorance, racism or bigotry? Nice choice isn't it!

Its none of them, if you think people should get a job because of the colour of their skin or their sex then it is you who's the bigot. I'm just saying it should be the best candidate, you're the bigot if you think colour or sex should be a defining factor.

Its patronising.

Archived