Equality legislation - has it worked?

Its none of them, if you think people should get a job because of the colour of their skin or their sex then it is you who's the bigot.

Equality legislation isn't all about this though. For some it is about letting them access work. It's unfair to deny a man in a wheelchair a job because he can't climb the steps to get to work. If he is the best man for the job then he should get it.

There are some ideas I agree with in this area and some I don't. I find it very hard to agree with the whole of affirmative action, but I can see the ideas behind it.

As a gay man I'm glad that there is legislation preventing discrimination of people on the grounds of sexual orientation.

Of course people will still continue to make snide remarks in public, but at least gay & bi people, theoretically (if not sometimes in practice) have recourse to the law.

I do feel that the area where discrimination should be challenged most vigorously is in schools. Children are especially vulnerable to the perceptions of others and impacts on the child's self esteem, confidence and mental health. Unfortunately in spite of clear directives from central and local government empowering teachers to stamp out homophobic bullying, it still continues.

Its none of them, if you think people should get a job because of the colour of their skin or their sex then it is you who's the bigot. I'm just saying it should be the best candidate, you're the bigot if you think colour or sex should be a defining factor.

Its patronising.

Right, employers never see the disability not the skills! I suggest you need to get out more if that's what you think, while you're at it you might want to try to explain the above average numbers of disabled, seeking work but unemployed. Is it because we're all thick, idle and workshy?

Discrimination against disabled is meant to be illegal, it still happens, hence I can't get anything other than voluntary work. And don't even get me started about the Tories' latest idea that disabled people should work for less than minimum wage! :rant::loopy:

Right, employers never see the disability not the skills! I suggest you need to get out more if that's what you think, while you're at it you might want to try to explain the above average numbers of disabled, seeking work but unemployed. Is it because we're all thick, idle and workshy?

He's a Daily Mail reader, they all think that! :loopy::rant:

That king of proves my point. Legislation is not working. Thanks...:D

Discrimination against disabled is meant to be illegal, it still happens, hence I can't get anything other than voluntary work. And don't even get me started about the Tories' latest idea that disabled people should work for less than minimum wage! :rant::loopy:

Although you do seem to have every excuse under the sun to why you cant get a job and sometimes I feel you hide behind your disability as to why you dont try to get a job.

Although you do seem to have every excuse under the sun to why you cant get a job and sometimes I feel you hide behind your disability as to why you dont try to get a job.

Stop trolling!

I HAVE a job, OK It is voluntary for South Yorks Police, but it is still a job, I am just on Holiday at the moment as the work is School term time based.

Do you see?!

Stop trolling!

I HAVE a job, OK It is voluntary for South Yorks Police, but it is still a job, I am just on Holiday at the moment as the work is School term time based.

Do you see?!

So you work 37/40 hours a week then? And if you can get a voultry job with the Police you should be able to get one with a paid employer, places like Asda are hiring at the moment(with all the new ones opening around the city).

Do YOU see??

Archived