Another Butcher is selling up.

thats a shame but if he's to get the CHOP then he has to make ends MEAT somehow otherwise he'll not have a SAUSAGE to his name and his BACON will be on the line.

Tis true and i wish him good luck in the future. He just needs a SLICE of luck to get a decent job quickly with no hassle, BEEF or MINCING around! :D

I buy anything pork from Conrad Kempka, the only steak that we eat is the mature Ribeye from Sainsburys, we buy leg beef from the Chatsworth Farm Shop.

I agree that Sainsbury's 21 day aged beef is fabulous. It's the only decent beef I've found for sale in Sheffield.

I would love to find a high quality independent butcher in Sheffield, but since the closure of Edward Lee on Hickmott Road I haven't found one. Other places seem to have decent butchers, but try finding one in Sheffield that ages their beef for 28 days. You won't find one.

I live close to the Bridge Farm shop, but only ever used it on a few occasions and found the meat to be OK, but nothing special.

Tis true and i wish him good luck in the future. He just needs a SLICE of luck to get a decent job quickly with no hassle, BEEF or MINCING around! :D

Is it me or is every single thread degenerating this way now? There *was* a time when it was funny.... unfortunately that was some weeks ago.

i don't have the time to trapse around going to the butchers.

We have a butcher (Grays) in the next village. They do great freezer pack offers which are fantastic value if you can afford to spend about £30 at one go. The meat is much better and cheaper than the supermarket stuff. When I used to work long hours the butcher would let me call in early or late or I could order and they would deliver if I got a few things at once. If you are a regular customer local butchers are very helpful.

I think the main reason a lot of people don't go to places like this butchers is simply that they are at work all day. Butchers (and most other independant shops) tend not to stay open until people get home from work so they only get their custom on Saturday, providing they want to waste part of their day off trailing round the shop, which personally I don't.

Is it me or is every single thread degenerating this way now? There *was* a time when it was funny.... unfortunately that was some weeks ago.

Oh i see...pick on Casper day is it?

Ok, hang on then...

I am so so sorry to hear about yet another small business being swept aside by these multi national conglomerates.

It really is a crying shame that the normal 'man in the street' type business is failing simply because people tend to shop in an all in one store rather than go tramming around shop after shop after shop...move with the times!

Sad but true, and whether i make a light hearted reference or not, it will be the same result!

I think the main reason a lot of people don't go to places like this butchers is simply that they are at work all day. Butchers (and most other independant shops) tend not to stay open until people get home from work so they only get their custom on Saturday, providing they want to waste part of their day off trailing round the shop, which personally I don't.

Have you ever asked them what time they work or are open? Most I have known are in the back of the shop working by 7.30 am or they might work late cleaning up. If people want to shop at the local butchers have a chat to them and see my comments in my previous post just above yours.

best part of my weekend is taking my daughter to the local shops in hillsborough, having a chat with our warm and friendly butcher, picking out what we want for sunday lunch, and a few bits for the week, followed by trips to the pet shop for chicken food, and the greengrocers.

the whole enterprise takes around half an hour, less time than it takes to drive to and from the nearest half decent supermarket. it's also a pleasure, and pretty much the only way i get to interact with the community i live in.

the trip into town on foot usually leads naturally on to trips to the park and the library - though i'd guess these things are also inconvenient for most these days - perhaps better replaced by more supermarket consumerism.

i think it's a sign of the times that something as simple as community based shopping is seen as a chore. we get the society we deserve i suppose. were so busy, but busy doing what?

Have you ever asked them what time they work or are open? Most I have known are in the back of the shop working by 7.30 am or they might work late cleaning up.

Who goes food shopping before they go to work ?

Archived