Making people work! rant

Meh, I've worked "for nowt" for years, best thing I've ever done IMO, I'd love to get a job for money, but there's too much ILLEGAL discrimination against disabled at the moment :rant:

Surely if they were discriminating you wouldn't get a job at all, unpaid of otherwise ?

The problem with this government is they issue a lot of statements without thinking the whole issue through.

<...>

There is no real benefit to us being in the EU so if we signed out of that we would have more money to spend on this country.

Oh, the irony :hihi:

In this age of international trade with countries outside of the EU it proves that you do not need an entity like the EU just to keep up trade agreements.
So, you don't need a barrier-free entry to the second largest market in the world?

You don't think the UK has custom tariffs in place for non-EU goods and reciprocally?

Riiight.

I dont know how many British products would be bought for use abroad
Why don't you look it up, before copy/pasting the usual Eurosceptic rethoric. There's a risk it might inform your opinion ;)

So you think I havent thought it through?
No.

Compare what being in the EU costs versus what not being in the EU costs. Make sure you don't forget anything, i.e.

Open market selling price UK <> other EU countries with/without free movement of goods (that's an EU-only perk, btw, so you'd need a new trade agreement to keep it without being in the EU...do you think many EU Member States will sign on our dotted line?)

Current tax revenue from EU workers in the UK versus loss of tax revenue from those leaving after the free movement of persons is abolished and visas become required (again, that's an EU-only perk, btw, so we'd need to sign onto Shengen anew as a non-EU member, with remaining EU Member States having a say in it...do you think many EU Member States will let us sign on the dotted line?)

Current NHS expenditure on domestic health system plus UK residing elsewhere in EU under relevant EU bilateral agreements versus Current NHS expenditure on domestic health and UK residing elsewhere in EU without relevant EU bilateral agreements.

The list goes on, I've not even scratched the surface here. These are some of the more easily quantiafiable ones, after that there are the unquantifiable ones, e.g. how much political weight would the UK wield in international trade negotiations by its lonesome self, therefore how much of the trade blanket could it expect to pull its way, relative to, say, the US, the EU, the BRIC countries...

No.

Compare what being in the EU costs versus what not being in the EU costs. Make sure you don't forget anything, i.e.

Open market selling price UK <> other EU countries with/without free movement of goods (that's an EU-only perk, btw, so you'd need a new trade agreement to keep it without being in the EU...do you think many EU Member States will sign on our dotted line?)

Current tax revenue from EU workers in the UK versus loss of tax revenue from those leaving after the free movement of persons is abolished and visas become required (again, that's an EU-only perk, btw, so we'd need to sign onto Shengen anew as a non-EU member, with remaining EU Member States having a say in it...do you think many EU Member States will let us sign on the dotted line?)

Current NHS expenditure on domestic health system plus UK residing elsewhere in EU under relevant EU bilateral agreements versus Current NHS expenditure on domestic health and UK residing elsewhere in EU without relevant EU bilateral agreements.

The list goes on, I've not even scratched the surface here. These are some of the more easily quantiafiable ones, after that there are the unquantifiable ones, e.g. how much political weight would the UK wield in international trade negotiations by its lonesome self, therefore how much of the trade blanket could it expect to pull its way, relative to, say, the US, the EU, the BRIC countries...

Some of those would be self cancelling eg loss of tax revenue from EU workers..if they weren't here they wouldn't get health care etc etc..it's not as clear cut as you are portraying..

I beg to differ if anything disabled discrimination is very low, same as racial discrimination or sexual discrimination.

If you look you will find gainful employment if you really want to.

That's it in a nutshell. The trouble with people who don;t want to work is that as soon as you've proved their excuse is untrue, they'll just come up with another one.

As the saying goes, if you want to do something you'll find a way. If you don't want to do something you'll find an excuse.

shouldnt our council tax pay for that?

Benefits are a privilege, not a right. I would expect any self-respecting citizen, who finds themselves out of work would want to repay his or her debt to society. We all pay into a pot, if people take out of that pot, then they should expect to have to put something back in. If they're not earning, then obviously they can't pay income tax and get allowances on other taxes, then they should put something else back in eg: their time and labour to help the rest of us.

Why shouldn't we expect something in return for the money we give to people who are out of work?

People who expect money for nothing bring the country down and bring their children up to expect money for nothing and we end up in a downward spiral of lazy, contemptible, benefit grabbing layabouts.

It's not like it is a punishment and the comparison to Community Payback doesn't work because they don't get any money in return.

It just shows how far wrong the welfare system has gone, people now think of it as a right to be paid money for doing nothing but signing on once every two weeks.

I had to sign on for a couple of months last year and I would have welcomed working for a few hours a week in exchange for the money I was getting. It doesn't have to be all picking up litter, either, that's not even what Community Payback do, there are alsorts of projects out there that need help.

See! There are people who value the benefits they're given. Snook I salute you, cap duly doffed to the working man/woman.

Archived