Making people work! rant

.....Let's see.... Well we could reduce the £300 a day expenses for the Lords who just sign in and go home again, or what about taking the gratis credit cards off civil servants who get £1,000 every month to spend with no accountability - there are 140,000 of those, or there's the gravy train called the EU where there's a few quid to be saved, nobody knows how much coz their accounts have never been signed off. What about MP's pensions? They've just had a raise (only they're waiting till the heats off or a bad news day to quietly accept it...) Maybe we could drop a few less bombs on Libya for a week or two, that would save quite a bit..........

Totally agree that money could be used elsewhere & hopefully in a more beneficial way...but I also believe those on benefits should contribute in society, a couple of days per week; maintain the gardens of our elderly, street/graffiti cleaning. I’d rather sit at an interview & when asked what I’ve been doing whilst unemployed, “well sir I’ve been doing community voluntary work” or “well sir I’ve been sat on my arse with my games station, and my mates, waiting for someone to give me a job” I know who i’d have more respect for.

besides, how can they grow cannabis or burn illegal dvd's if they're out litter picking? :rolleyes:

I'm unemployed due to no fault of my own and I do neither of the things you mentioned.

I am starting training as an Accountant so I won't have to 'work' for my benefits. I have all my qualifications in Business/Admin and cannot for the life of me get a job in this field.

I just can't stand people that tar the unemployed with the same brush.

Yes, there are loads of people who refuse to work because it's much easier than living on benefits. But there are people who NEED to work but can't get a job.

You are given more in benefits than you pay in tax, so your council tax doesn't pay for anything, you're a net drain on the system.

Stop whining and do some work for your money, or get a job.

so what about all the immigrants that claim beneifits are they not netdrains

you all chat so much tosh :huh::huh:

Totally agree that money could be used elsewhere & hopefully in a more beneficial way...but I also believe those on benefits should contribute in society, a couple of days per week; maintain the gardens of our elderly, street/graffiti cleaning. I’d rather sit at an interview & when asked what I’ve been doing whilst unemployed, “well sir I’ve been doing community voluntary work” or “well sir I’ve been sat on my arse with my games station, and my mates, waiting for someone to give me a job” I know who i’d have more respect for.

I have great respect for anyone prepared to do anything other than lard about the place all day.

Someone I know who was professionally employed who'd been made redundant went to deliver milk in the middle of Winter too, that's what I call initiative. When he finally found a job in his field of expertise his interviewers were deeply impressed with his CV.

I'm unemployed due to no fault of my own and I do neither of the things you mentioned.

I am starting training as an Accountant so I won't have to 'work' for my benefits. I have all my qualifications in Business/Admin and cannot for the life of me get a job in this field.

I just can't stand people that tar the unemployed with the same brush.

Yes, there are loads of people who refuse to work because it's much easier than living on benefits. But there are people who NEED to work but can't get a job.

How about you swallow your pride and take any job rather than just one that suits you? There are always shops, fast food places and call centres taking on staff, so what makes you think you're above working there just because you have some worthless qualification?

How about you swallow your pride and take any job rather than just one that suits you? There are always shops, fast food places and call centres taking on staff, so what makes you think you're above working there just because you have some worthless qualification?

I agree, see my previous post. Any job is better than no job especially for your future CV.

Why would I work hard for years to work in Tesco's?

If you didn't read I am training as an Accountant! So I don't need to take ANY job.

Maybe if I had no other options then I would work in places like you mentioned but seen as I have no need to I won't be!

Work in Tesco's or train as an Accountant? Very hard decision.

I have great respect for anyone prepared to do anything other than lard about the place all day.

Someone I know who was professionally employed who'd been made redundant went to deliver milk in the middle of Winter too, that's what I call initiative. When he finally found a job in his field of expertise his interviewers were deeply impressed with his CV.

Me too. Some people think that they are above some roles. I would rather do anything than nothing if I were unempolyed.

Just over two years ago my husband was made redundant and for several months he worked on a self employed basis as a window cleaner for a man with a window cleaning company. The pay was awful (the man was taking the michael and very large cut for himself). My hubby would get an average of around £100 per week, £120 on a good week. We struggled like hell but it's amazing what you can get by on if you have too. Thankfully now he's back in a proper job but the point is, you do what you have too. I have no respect or sympathy for people who don't help themselves.

No, i mean for example, a man with a wife and 3 kids, just made redundant and claiming JSA for himself and his wife on a joint claim.

As for the other people who clean the streets for a living, are you telling me there is no difference in maybe uniform, between council workers and the community service workers?

I still don't understand why the man and wife can't do the work? They take it in turns and they shouldn't be claiming JSA if they aren't available to work.

There is a difference in uniform, Community Payback have 'Community Payback' across their backs. That's the only difference and I don't expect that people claiming benefits will be expected to wear something with that fact writen on it.

Also, why do people keep saying 'cleaning the streets' as if that's all they do. If it was even the same as Community Payback then they do a whole range of work. Painting, cleaning, gardening, building work. They don't just scrub the streets all day (as should be obvious by looking at the streets).

I can't see any reason to complain for having to actually work for their money.

I still don't understand why the man and wife can't do the work? They take it in turns and they shouldn't be claiming JSA if they aren't available to work.

There is a difference in uniform, Community Payback have 'Community Payback' across their backs. That's the only difference and I don't expect that people claiming benefits will be expected to wear something with that fact writen on it.

Also, why do people keep saying 'cleaning the streets' as if that's all they do. If it was even the same as Community Payback then they do a whole range of work. Painting, cleaning, gardening, building work. They don't just scrub the streets all day (as should be obvious by looking at the streets).

I can't see any reason to complain for having to actually work for their money.

It's a concept lost on some people.

Archived