Making people work! rant

Spoken like a true Daily Mail reader, tell me how much a month is your subscription to the DM?

What on earth are you talking about?

Are you trying to claim that someone living on benefits (immigrant or not) is not a net drain on the country? Or don't you believe that immigrants can't claim (most) benefits?

So people may as well commit petty crimes in order to make a living because if they get caught it just means that they will get the same treatment anyway - a bad propensity towards crime and against social cohesion if you ask me.

How ridiculous. We all might as well become drug dealers and get 6 years in prison seeing as they will earn £40,000/year (paid for in accommodation and food) - if we are thinking with your reasoning.

Then why not pay people a decent wage to do this work, then they will be able to contribute and have some self worth as well.

Ok, since you are bringing Maths into it.

If someone has claimed for 1 year, and they have to do 30 hours work during that year:

If they are claiming £5000/year, they will have done community for for £166 per hour.

If they are among the 140,000 who claim more that £24,000/year, their hourly rate would have risen to £800 per hour (minimum).

So have I but at least I was paid a reasonable rate for doing it.

Yes, I agree, if we remove the benefit completely and pay them, say £10/hour for this 30 hours, their annual benefit would be £300/year. (and that is nearly twice NMW).

I'd rather be stuck in my house/flat than be put on parade for the bigots to sneer at and stigmatise me.

Fair enough. This kind of shows where the system has failed when someone is more embarrassed to work than to hide away and claim.

It won't happen. It'll cost too much money.

The best way to save money on unemployment is to do nothing. There'll always be a number of people who won't work, whatever the reason. Just leave them to their lives and do nothing. No point in all these expensive schemes, multitude of advisers and training schemes. Just let sleeping dogs, sleep.

If people who are unemployed are really wanting to return to work provide voluntary training, advisers and schemes.

That's if the main reason for these new initiatives is to save money and not to gain favour with the electorate, posturing to get votes.

It won't happen. It'll cost too much money.

The best way to save money on unemployment is to do nothing. There'll always be a number of people who won't work, whatever the reason. Just leave them to their lives and do nothing. No point in all these expensive schemes, multitude of advisers and training schemes. Just let sleeping dogs, sleep.

If people who are unemployed are really wanting to return to work provide voluntary training, advisers and schemes.

I pretty much agree with this Frank. However...

That's if the main reason for these new initiatives is to save money and not to gain favour with the electorate, posturing to get votes.

... the OP wasn't basing his argument on this perspective, hence worth a response.

So what? You have not qualified as an accountant yet so why cant you take a job in the meantime.

I studied my law degree but I didn't sit on my backside all day waiting for my lectures to start. I worked part time in hotels. It didn't mean that I was going to be working in a hotel all my life.

get off your horse.

I have only been out of work a couple of weeks. During that time I applied for loads of jobs and had a couple of interviews.

And then I got offered training to be an Accountant. Like I said I start soon so what's the point in getting a job for a few days?

Some people may see sense in getting a job for just 3 days but I don't!

It's to rainy and cold to ride my horse today. Sorry!

Why not work in any job you can find and train to be an accountant when you are not at work, my son did that and is now an accountant.

I am working while I train. So I don't understand how I can do that? Hmm I do wish I could be in 2 places at once.

If you are fit to work and have been unemployed a long time what is wrong with having to do community work for your benefits? Work out how many hours it would take to earn however much you receive in benefits at minimum wage and do that much work in the community. Seems pretty fair. I'd certainly feel less guilty if I was unemployed and had to rely on benefits and could do that.

That could work.

I am working while I train. So I don't understand how I can do that? Hmm I do wish I could be in 2 places at once.

I'd ignore them mate. Someone wants to better themselves and they still get a slagging on here. You'll never please them all.

Archived