Shakespeare smoked cannabis?

the pot-smokers-of-the-world-unite crowd jumped on this one years ago. Shakespeare was definitely not a pothead.

How do you know he wasn't?!

It was legal back then why would he not have used it?

How do you know he wasn't?!

It was legal back then why would he not have used it?

Oy, I said that!

Does it matter whether he was or wasn't?

Not at all. If he did smoke it, it's only like saying "The Queen drinks sherry!" which is currently perfectly legal and socially acceptable.

Scientists are hoping to be allowed access to his remains in order to test for the substance after finding traces of the drug in his smoking pipes.

One of England's most celebrated historical figures who shaped and changed the way we use our language could of been a pot head?

At least us smokers know that we are in good company!

so what, that was then and this is now. just because someone in the 1500's/1600's could do x, that doesn't mean you should do they same today, unless you want torture, executions and the poor laws back that is.

unless you want torture, executions and the poor laws back that is.

The difference is that torture and execution and poverty affect people en masse. Smoking weed only harms (if it does so) the individual.

Plus, if he did smoke weed, then one can argue that the drug has made a contribution to the English language, English heritage and English theatre - which is a huge statement to make.

they used to eat magic mushrooms back then too

I'm not sure they did.

Evidence of deliberate use (as opposed to accidental ingestion) only goes back to the 60s. If you know of anything concrete that would show deliberate usage in this country going back further than that, I would be very interested!

Archived