Shakespeare smoked cannabis?

You could argue that, I suppose. It would be very silly

No sillier than saying "the drug could not influence the English language". I said 'can' because we can only work with supposition without Shakespeare's direct comments on if the drug did help his work or not.

The difference is that torture and execution and poverty affect people en masse. Smoking weed only harms (if it does so) the individual.

Plus, if he did smoke weed, then one can argue that the drug has made a contribution to the English language, English heritage and English theatre - which is a huge statement to make.

Perfectly put Chris!

I wouldn't go that far. Him smoking weed doesn't automatically mean that the weed had any influence on what he wrote. It would be like saying Shakespeare enjoyed eating jacket potatoes, therefore jacket potatoes influenced the world.

I think the humble jacket spud has influenced the world!

Perhaps the link between creative people and great thinkers and the use of drugs lies in the experience of exploring the full scope of human perception.

There is clearly a link in the type of people who have given us a great deal in history and their willingness to experiment with drugs, I guess the true argument is whether the drug use is a symptom or cause for the achievements of these people.

I could well believe that Shakespeare would use cannabis.

Archived