Free shares in struggling banks

So, the government wants to give us all some free shares in banks we already own. They say it will involve us more in the prosperity of the banks. I say the government is trying to palm the problem off onto the poor taxpayer. That way, when the whole thing goes belly up, we get the blame, and carry the financial burden.

This is just shifting the problem from one place to another in the hope of avoiding any political fallout.

Also, when the banks need another cash injection, where will that money come from. The banks will expect all the shareholders to make a contribution (thats you and me, if you hadn't already guessed) from their own pockets.

If you are offered this deal I would suggest you reject it out of hand. The government got us into this mess, let them get us out of it.

So, the government wants to give us all some free shares in banks we already own. They say it will involve us more in the prosperity of the banks. I say the government is trying to palm the problem off onto the poor taxpayer. That way, when the whole thing goes belly up, we get the blame, and carry the financial burden.

This is just shifting the problem from one place to another in the hope of avoiding any political fallout.

Also, when the banks need another cash injection, where will that money come from. The banks will expect all the shareholders to make a contribution (thats you and me, if you hadn't already guessed) from their own pockets.

If you are offered this deal I would suggest you reject it out of hand. The government got us into this mess, let them get us out of it.

How exactly?

Did the government make people take out more credit than they could afford? Did the government make people in america default on their mortgages?

What about when the banks make a profit again. As a shareholder you will be entitled to some of that. Plus as a shareholder you wont have an opportunity to rant and moan about how its run becuase you will be given the chance to vote and have a say. See the bigger picture :rolleyes:

So the government take control of a bank that I had shares in and I lose my shares, and now they want to give everyone shares in that bank.

That sucks, I should have more because I already had some.:D

So the government take control of a bank that I had shares in and I lose my shares, and now they want to give everyone shares in that bank.

You didn't lose your shares, they simply went down in value. You should still have the same number of shares or an equivalent number if you held shares in a bank that merged.

I've not seen all the details of the proposal but according to the article I saw you would only get to keep any money if you sold them for more than the Government bought them for. Everything else is handed back.

But which government took them away and which is proposing giving you something back?

HOW WOULD IT WORK?

- About 75% of publicly-owned shares distributed to all British adults on the electoral roll - for free

- Recipients get full rights of shareholder

- When shares are sold, a fixed "floor price" goes to Treasury to return its investment

- The shareholder, who could choose when to sell, would keep any profit

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-13884271

I think that pretty much summarises it.

Archived