Amazing information on Sheffield Blitz WWII

Just Thought I'd say for anyone else who like myself is interested by WWII, I was walking through town centre on my way home in Sheffield where I saw a stall set up by Sheffield star with books about sheffield and war and what not, I asked for books about Sheffield blitz but they had none at the stall.The lady kindly directed me to the Sheffield Star building where they sold books about Sheffield in WWII, the information and personal accounts of people living in Sheffield at the time are phenominal.It even comes with a map of Sheffield which Germans marked where to bomb suggesting they weren't aiming for Steel places in particular.

I think all people interested in Sheffield during the war should have a read its fantastic.

The books called Sheffields Date With Hitler:) anyone else read this? thoughts?

My old man is into WWII big time, he does all the reenactments and all that kind of thing, i've read a few of those books and a fasinating time i must say.

It makes you look at the old ens in a different way, its amazing what these people lived through and there are some who fought on the front line still around these days.

It must have been a horrible time for young kids, it makes you wonder though how the kids of today would cope if this situation arose again tomorrow.

It must have been a horrible time for young kids, it makes you wonder though how the kids of today would cope if this situation arose again tomorrow.

Can you imagine the stories in the Star about parents complaining that their kids' internet access had been cut off by the blackouts?

My old man is into WWII big time, he does all the reenactments and all that kind of thing, i've read a few of those books and a fasinating time i must say.

It makes you look at the old ens in a different way, its amazing what these people lived through and there are some who fought on the front line still around these days.

If i (we)said we had a horrrible time i'd be lieing aways knew i was imortal and firmly convinced we would win in the end, said once before see if you can get the movie"Land of Hope and Glory"thats how it was:cool::cool:

Life went on. We went to school, if the Air raid all clear did not sound until after midnight we didn't go until 1pm. When our school was bombed we went to other pupils homes and had lessons in their living rooms

Went to Concord park to play field hockey, to Sutherland Rd or Attercliffe baths

to learn to swim, took 1/4 & 1/2 mile exam plus life saving exam.

Had to live in Church basement when our house was bombed, pretty awful sharing 2 toilets with lots of other families.

Frightening when the Land Mines, Bombs and Incendiary bombs fell.

Huge celebrations when the war was over, neighbourhood parties, games and lots of fun.

Months later Oranges, Lemons and Bananas appeared, children who had been born early during the War saw them for he first time.

The best parts - not being woken up with the sirens sounding and having to run scared to the shelter, and not having to carry a Gas Mask to school.

Seeing our neighbours son's scars who had been fighting then captured by the Japanese.

'Make love not war' was the slogan.

Cynthia.

In the A3 sized book, Sheffield At War, there is a pullout page which has black dots for most known bombs dropped on Sheffield. If you walk up Woodseats Road, Cartmell Road, you can see the gaps in the terraced houses which correspond to the black dots.

My late grandfather (born 1899) used to make living in Sheffield during WW11 sound like a never ending episode of Dads Army. Most of his mates had been killed on the Somme in WW1, so anything that Hitler threw at him was kids stuff, or so he made it sound. He was always most amused at the thought of air aid wardens (Mr Hodges) running around screaming "Put that light out", at properties that were on fire. :huh:

When the bombs started to drop he ordered my gran, mother and auntie into the recently installed Anderson Shelter, gran went first, there was a splash followed be a scream, gran came out soaking wet through, grandad hadn't bothered with any of that drainage malarky. Gran went back into the house and never used the shelter again, infact she said that she stood more chance of being drowned by grandad than bombed by Hitler. :hihi:

The British population of the day, collectively put two fingers up to Hitler and his cronies, losing the war was not on their agenda, god bless them. :thumbsup:

1943 Fullwood Homes lineing up for monthly treat or in my case the cane for running away the threat was next time it would be Borstal, no 2 was in charge that day he told all us run offs whats it to be orange or choc bar(2oz) cant have both,must have worked dont remember taking as much well every 2_3 months had to keep my hand in and them on their toes

Archived