Amazing information on Sheffield Blitz WWII

Years ago i worked on a building site on a road near Bramall Lane where we found a 500lb bomb, one of the largest dropped on Sheffield. It had landed but failed to explode and then got covered in debris so was lost, although they knew it was there, somewhere. When they blew the detonator up (not the bomb) it blew all the windows out of the nearby houses.

I think that might be 1985, I remember it because I was back home as my father in law died - or am I getting confused with the one that they found in Wicker Arches ?

Wasn't that when they were building the new properties on Lancing and Edmund roads?

Years ago i worked on a building site on a road near Bramall Lane where we found a 500lb bomb, one of the largest dropped on Sheffield. It had landed but failed to explode and then got covered in debris so was lost, although they knew it was there, somewhere. When they blew the detonator up (not the bomb) it blew all the windows out of the nearby houses.

I think 1985 would be about right because my younger brother was due to take his son to see Sheffield United at home. When he was told why they couldn't go young Russ asked if they could go and look at the bomb instead!!

I think 1985 would be about right because my younger brother was due to take his son to see Sheffield United at home. When he was told why they couldn't go young Russ asked if they could go and look at the bomb instead!!

So that would be about February 1985 then.

Wasn't that when they were building the new properties on Lancing and Edmund roads?

I was born in 1947 but lived on Hodgson street. A kerbstone that was thrown up by a bomb in Button ? lane went through her roof and straight into the downstairs room. There was a false shop window covering the hole from the Moor. Atkinsons?

We were born in the same year, I used to love looking round the junk yard on Button Lane. I recall them having an Austin Seven for sale at £5.00, I wonder what that would be worth now.

My grandmother lived on Albert road, I was 12 years old and walked over to see her from Millmount Rd just after the Thursday blitz and she being in her 70s she seemed ancient. She told me what a wonderful night the blitz was.

Here is what she told me :-

I got out of bed to go to the toilet and when i went to lie down again I could see all the stars and the moon above my head, it was wonderful.

An incendiary bomb had gone through the roof, through the attic floor, through the bedroom floor and ended up in the cellar where it lay but never ignited.

It was a clear winters night with a bright,almost daylight sky.

After that she came to live with us until she died not long after.

My late grandfather (born 1899) used to make living in Sheffield during WW11 sound like a never ending episode of Dads Army. Most of his mates had been killed on the Somme in WW1, so anything that Hitler threw at him was kids stuff, or so he made it sound. He was always most amused at the thought of air aid wardens (Mr Hodges) running around screaming "Put that light out", at properties that were on fire. :huh:

When the bombs started to drop he ordered my gran, mother and auntie into the recently installed Anderson Shelter, gran went first, there was a splash followed be a scream, gran came out soaking wet through, grandad hadn't bothered with any of that drainage malarky. Gran went back into the house and never used the shelter again, infact she said that she stood more chance of being drowned by grandad than bombed by Hitler. :hihi:

The British population of the day, collectively put two fingers up to Hitler and his cronies, losing the war was not on their agenda, god bless them. :thumbsup:

hiya crookesey anderson shelters brings back another memory i once went to my grans on the manor i was walking down hastilar rd and when i got to

the junction of harborough avenue there were some local kids useing the curved side of an anderson shelter as a sledge on a piece of sloping spare land, it was ok going down but they had to have 10 or 12 to bring it to the top again.

My Mum who is now in a home and suffering dementia will still tell the tale of how she, as a 14 year old girl, set off to work at 6am and had to walk across Sheffield the morning after the blitz.

Shops burning, busses upturned, people walking in shock at having their homes destroyed. When asked if she was scared she says of course she was, but there was a war on and we had to get on with it.

Now days, a 16 year old with a broken air rifle would cause more panic than Hitler ever did.

Archived