Amazing information on Sheffield Blitz WWII

hiya crookesey anderson shelters brings back another memory i once went to my grans on the manor i was walking down hastilar rd and when i got to

the junction of harborough avenue ther were some local kids useing the curved side of an anderson shelter as a sledge on a piece of sloping spare land, it was ok going down but they had to have 10 or 12 to bring it to the top again.

We use to do the same thing on Penistone rd before you got to Wood st huge slag heaps i think went all the way up to Langsett only the wood fence stoped us from playing with the tram cars looking back if ever we had came off, that slag would have ripped every bit of skin from our bodys:loopy::loopy:

Some of the Anderson shelters were useless as they used to fill up with water. We had a reinforced cellar which was nearly as bad as the gas meter was down there, and if a bomb hit the house we only had the cellar grate to get out. OK if you were small or thin but some of the oversize relatives would have been in trouble.

If you buy the local paper in Mansfield where I now live, its called The Chad, an invention of a reporter on the paper during the war,it rapidly became famous and was used all over the country to promote wartime messages

i wasn't born till 1959. but there is plenty of evidence of the war. pre war houses with no railings just holes in the stone where they used to be. streets where some of the row of houses are newer than the others. then there is the city centre. look at the buildings you can see which ones survived the blitz. someone mentioned the wicker archers. if you look up under the arch you can see a repair where an unexplored bomb dropped.

i wasn't born till 1959. but there is plenty of evidence of the war. pre war houses with no railings just holes in the stone where they used to be. streets where some of the row of houses are newer than the others. then there is the city centre. look at the buildings you can see which ones survived the blitz. someone mentioned the wicker archers. if you look up under the arch you can see a repair where an unexplored bomb dropped.

hiya. i remember the time during the war when i lived close to fitzwilliam street and broomspring lane areas the railings around the frontage of the houses were taken down to help the war effort as scrap,when you think about it the pans for cooking were in short supply and if one had a hole in the bottom there were on sale a kind of metal disk to screw in the hole to save buying or going without a new one. also not all properties that you saw empty were bomb damage there were several round where i lived that after the war were relet, and some weren't they were still unoccupied until 1961, there was a slum clearance before the war and a lot of spare land that once had houses on them were thought to have been bombed

After the all clear sounded my elder brother and I walked home from the shelter under the arches at Heeley railway bridge, we'd been to the picture palace just by. Mother met us on Chesterfield road but we didn't sleep long we set off to town walking and seeing firemen trying to put the numerous fires out but most of them looked utterly exhausted.

War is not a game,it's not something a country should engage in without first looking at other options, war should be looked on as a failure by governments because too many citizens suffer hardship and even loss of life. Any fool can start a war just as an idiot in a bar can start a brawl. We should have stayed out of WW2 until Hitler made an attempt to invade then we would have been better equipped and better prepared, but instead we sent our Army over to the Continent and to certain defeat.

This of course is hindsight but Cameron and most of our previous P.M.s have always chosen war as the first solution, just look at the mess in Libya now.

• 4 weeks later...

for tom 19890305.. just read your wwll, i did a project about 10 years ago on the sheffield blitz, but i went to speak to the people of sheffield that was actually in the sheffield blitz.Most have died now, but i am very lucky to have their memories of what the pepole of sheffield went though, it is brilliant

Our house in Jepson Road, Shiregreen was one of the first houses to be bombed in Sheffield by a stray bomb which landed in the fields behind the houses. My father got me out of my cot and into the shelter. Afterwards, there was no roof on the house and my cot was full of bricks!! Nearly a goner. Months later, I can remember listening for the bombers going over and Dad saying that it was one of ours, the barage balloons over Concord Park. Years later, we used to play in the gun turrets at the back of the Flower Estate. I thought the Germans lived on bananas and rice pudding as Mum said that they had them all.

Archived